GoKunming Forums

Inline Skating in Kunming?

zhuzhu (3 posts) • 0

I brought my inline skates to Kunming, but have been unsuccesful to find a place to really go skating in this city... everywhere are cars and electronic bicycles that make it impossible and dangerous to go skating...

Do you know any appropiate road/place/stadium in Kunming where there are no or only limited number of cars and where it's (relatively) safe to go inline skating? It should not just be a square, cause usually I go skating for several kilometers.

Thank you very much for any help or confirmation that it was stupid to bring my skates at all...

Julia

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

try dianchi (the BIG lake to the south of the city). WIDE streets and a boardwalk by the lake.

LaoNaiYangYu (27 posts) • 0

regarding the boardwalk by the lake - you definitely wouldn't be able to skate on it at weekends - it is packed with dozens of couples getting their wedding photos taken; however, on weekdays it is quieter, especially if the weather is not too good; there are some wider and quieter new roads down in the south as laotou says

baiyueyue (1 post) • 0

It is quite easy to do laps of green lake.

They do not much like skating inside the park (which is only open during the day).

I find there are too many people there during the day. At night, it is good skating just around the lake.

A single lap should take 5-10 minutes.

There is a portion with several trees and a bit of gravel, but other than that, very good surface for skating.
Also, just to the south in the mall area, there is no cars, and especially at night, fewer people. Dongfeng W road near the Nanping Pedestrian Street.
Farther south in the market (Golden Horse/Jade Rooster).

The roads in there are terrible (but a good pair of quad skates can manage). However, in an underground mall (I don't know the name) there is good skating. Most of the shops are closed in the mall.

it is a little colder too, which is nice. and there is no one to run into in there. plastic floor. There is also a skate rink in there, but I have not been able to find a website for it. Next time I'm in the area (probably this summer) I will try to find a name for that place. I think it may be near Jinbi square.

it is in the old market, in a sunken square that looks abandoned (but it makes for good skating). just roll right into the lower levels.
overall, I find quad skates do better on most of the roadways, as well as allowing more control for traffic with the toe stops

ricsnapricsnap (193 posts) • 0

In the square by the entrance of the East gate of Yunnan Finance and Economics University, by Panlong river, there are young guys training doing slaloms and other tricks. Perhaps it is still too early in the season, but they will start soon. They practice in the evenings. It shouldn't be an internal sport club, rather a spontaneous gathering.

Related forum threads

Login to post