GoKunming Forums

昆明不文明 but some people here have the warmest hearts

debaser (647 posts) • 0

Just arrived back in Kunming after a few years in other parts of China. Of all the places I've been, this is the only one where it's near impossible to get a hotel for the night (even after the Police came out to help). Foreigners aren't welcome to travel here. In their defence of this place,

the Police tried to help and the receptionist at the Vienna hotel on Baiyun lu is letting me sleep on the sofa in reception (police approved). They even gave me a blanket. Pity I forgot the mosquito spray and earplugs!

jason2008 (1 post) • 0

Many hotels welcome foreigners to stay, just because you don't know how to find it. You can find it on your mobile phone.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

@jason - Haha. Apparently, neither do the police, or any of the other people or hotels that I asked. If it were so simple don't you think I would have already done it? Neither can the several Chinese apps that I use on my phone find somewhere suitable. Like I say, I managed quite well in several other Chinese cities on my way to Kunming. Maybe you'd be so kind as to list some that don't have unnecessary Covid restrictions/requirements AND that welcome foreign passport holders.

P.S. 0 posts? I'm honoured to be your first post.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

@livinginchina sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. The subway is mostly done so lots of the construction ended (yay - Beijing lu is OK) and Burger King came to town along with many other large brands but I don't think much else has improved in recent years, especially for foreign passport holders. Still, the climate is great for me and it offers access to a number of excellent destinations, especially if international travel returns. I'm moving back so it can't all be bad. The reception was just disappointing.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +1

I sent a message to a friend at one of the Crowne Plaza locations in Chongqing.

She said it sounds like a "local hotel" issue.

There would not have been the same problem with one of the international hotels.

Kunming has a number of those now.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

Thanks @AlPage48. I was look for somewhere nearer Tongde but I guess 'beggars can't be choosers', as the saying goes.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +1

@debaser
I just got an update from my friend at Crowne Plaza.

She told me this should be reported to the Foreign Affairs Office in Kunming.

Apparently they take it seriously.

Meanwhile, Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn locations downtown are not that far from Tongde.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

@livingin china I guess you arrived before me. Having first arrived in Kunming in 2009, I'm a relative 'newbie'. Maybe I wasn't clear enough: How exactly has the city improved in your opinion? Bear in mind that We're entitled to our own opinion and I respect yours regardless of how long you've been here. For me, the city was torn in two by the creation of Chengong. It was far more lively in the days when most students were based around 121 and there was a larger international community.

Related forum threads

Login to post