GoKunming Forums

Gaoxing-remember me?

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Learning Mongolian gaoxing? I also didn't hang out at Salvadors too much, but I didn't find anyone snooty there, well not any more snooty than sitting in a nice cafe in the West.

Anything in Mongolia that is interesting? I thought about biking through there at one point, those massive wide open plains.

Tom69 (151 posts) • 0

Agree with you blobbles. It's possible that some Kunming expats are "snooty" but not any more so than those in Thailand or Vietnam or other countries in the region from my own experiences.

There are/were a few regular faces at Salvadors that seemed to keep to themselves, but I didn't lose sleep over that. One finds cliques everywhere.

shao1 (15 posts) • 0

Mongolian language is too hard to learn. Similar to Russian.

Mongolians are different. They have the Russian mindset and are more in common with them than other Asians.

I liked the vibe of Ulaanbaator. Not too big, not too small. The architecture is cool too. I can't wait to go back when this virus circus ends.

Maybe I can create a Salvadors type of restaurant there...and create a goulaanbaator website...lol

taejonwill (38 posts) • 0

Kunming in 2010 was a good place. The traffic has gotten worse. But you could bike around the entire metro region of Kunming without much trouble back in the old days. Salvador's was the place the ex-pats hung out back then too. Now it's a little more diversified.

Tom69 (151 posts) • 0

@shao1, that's interesting. Overall, out of all East Asians, I find Chinese people to be the most similar to Europeans in their attitudes to life, culture and many other things, even though there are considerable differences. Conversely, Russians act the most "Asian" of any European peoples. Therefore, given Mongolia was under Russian influence for a long time, it is hardly surprising that their culture has been influenced by the Russians, right down to those horrible Soviet style apartment blocks everywhere.

Seems that in Ulaan Bator, there are only two types of accommodation options: apartments and yurts. No one seems to live in a single family home. Then again, you can't grow anything there because half the year the ground is covered with snow and the temperature gets down to -40C/F.

Related forum threads

Login to post