GoKunming Forums

Xmas mince pie filling.

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • 0

Has anyone seen any Xmas mince pie filling, in supermarkets or online? I have looked on Taobao, but have not been able to find any, but it might be that I am using the wrong search term.

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • +2

I also thought it too expensive and have already made my own.

First job was to find a recipe with ingredients I can get locally, and substitute or omit things depending on availability.

Here is the recipe i used
2 large sweet apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 large orange, zested, peeled and diced
1 c raisins
1/2 c chopped almonds
½ c golden raisins
½ c dried apricots, chopped
1/3 c dark brown sugar
¼ c lemon juice
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp allspice (I already had some)

½ c brandy*, (bottom shelf is fine)

1. Put everything EXCEPT the brandy in a medium saucepan, Stir and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
2. Remove the mixture from the heat. Cool and then stir in the brandy.*
3. Place the mixture in an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks before using, to let the flavors meld.
This will keep in the fridge 2-3 months.

Mixed spice recipe.
NB If you cannot get allspice don't worry.
Make up a batch of mixed spice and use 1 and a half teaspoons in the recipe, instead of the listed spices.

Recipe.
1 teaspoon of each ground: cinnamon, cloves, ground ginger, nutmeg.
You will probably need to grind your own cloves. I used a bullet blender. All of the other ground spices I found in Metro.

How did it turn out? It smells really good. It needs to sit in the fridge for at least two weeks for the flavors to meld. Just in time for Xmas.

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • +1

Shallow baking tins, for mince pies or jam tarts, took me ages to find on Taobao. I keep getting search results for muffin tins, which are too deep.

A bit of lateral thinking, I went on Amazon, found the right tins, grabbed a photo, and uploaded the photo into the Taobao search box.

I got several correct results, in among the muffin tins.
I have just bought these item.taobao.com/[...] They will arrive in time for Xmas. This year I will have 100% home made mince pies.

Related forum threads

Login to post