GoKunming Forums

Recent incident

herenow (357 posts) • 0

Check Gerry Shih's tweets from the past day.

It's only one incident and not nearby, so draw your own conclusions.

This is just FYI. Further discussion here is probably not advisable.

CindyLi (36 posts) • 0

Anecdotal incident, no?

For every one hate-filled incident, nine would come to the aid of Gerry and his Caucasian friend had they fell off their bike.

herenow (357 posts) • 0

I don't disagree. It's a data point, or anecdotal if you prefer, which is why I said "It's only one incident...".

And yes, as I have written on these forums before, I have found Chinese people in my experience to generally be friendly and helpful towards foreigners.

Stephanie123 (3 posts) • +1

Where is the link to the incident?

Also, as an ethnically Chinese foreigner, I agree that Chinese people are friendly towards foreigners - but only if you are non-Chinese. I have had nothing but rudeness and unhelpfulness from Chinese staff in public places (train stations, public toilets) and rarely, Chinese people at tourist destinations. Yesterday in Green Lake in Kunming, I wanted to use the toilets. I can't physically use squat toilets due to a hip injury, and there were seated toilets. But I waited for like 10 minutes and no one came out of the locked doors and there were no staff at the little reception area. Then these other 2 staff of the park came (they had a badge) and I asked them I wanted to go to the toilet and before I could say it was locked, (not the first time the seated toilet/wheelchair accessible facilities are locked and unavailable for actual use. Are there wheelchair facilities? Yes. But can you use it? No. In China it's about checkbox ticking and not actual job completion), one of them actually PUSHED me

(more like shoved) towards the toilets and said "Go!" And I said it's locked and she started running away like I'm contagious and said rudely "You ask them!" (ie the toilet staff). I said there's no one there and I've been waiting for 10 minutes.

Then I Chengdu I asked a local to take a photo for me, a girl said yes and I was getting my camera ready when her mum came over and asked roughly, what's happening, the girl said I wanted a photo, and the mum said No no no, and dragged her away. I dumbfounded looked on and asked why??? And the mum said "She [the girl] doesn't want to!"

Ummm??

Related forum threads

Login to post