GoKunming Forums

Getting married

Stellah20 (7 posts) • 0

I'm planning to get married in China. I'm from Madagascar and my boyfriend is from India...

Need help!

How and where can we get the marriage certificate in Kunming?

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

First you need documents from your home countries, that prove that you are both single.

These documents need to be legalized first in your home countries' mininstry of foreign affairs (or equivalent), and then in the Chinese consulate in those countries.

With those documents and your passports ready, you can get married in China. I don't know location of the relevant office in Kunming though.

Stellah20 (7 posts) • 0

does anyone know where can i submit these documents in Kunming?

@Janjal means chinese consulate has to approve it first then can bring in China?

baiyuxiang (111 posts) • 0

After you have the documents mentioned above, plus a photo (check with the government office for the specific requirements), the Kunming City Government office in Chenggong can issue the marriage certificate.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Why not get married in your native countries?

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • +1

Is China allowing foreign couples to be married in China now? I thought the government isn't issuing marriage certificates to foreign couples?

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I thought that was strange too. I wonder if they did their research concerning this.

M.N. Uddin (11 posts) • 0

I would suggest getting married in one of your countries then get the marriage certificate certified by the China embassy or the consulate before you come back to China. I think it's less ma-fan. But still, you will have to prove that you guys are singles. It a universal requirement.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

@Yuantongsi: "Is China allowing foreign couples to be married in China now"

This was possible before - but now that I actually checked this up, the rules seem to have changed as recently as March 2019.

As reported in this article:


"In the Ministry of Civil Affairs Notice 456, it was announced that foreign couples could no longer be married in China. Yet it quickly became clear that the ban did not in fact apply equally to all foreigners."

Related forum threads

Login to post