GoKunming Forums

research in China

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

There are elementary schools, middle schools and high schools in China. The research that you want to do in the schools is--- what - for a PhD in Education? Anthropology?
You can speak Chinese, right?
@Geezer: no, not necessarily true that research conclusions of foreigners must be either good news or praise.

(Thumb-down on cloudtrapezer's post above was an accident, what he says there is valid.)

kaddibuddy (45 posts) • 0

Sorry I should have write that clearly. So my major is sociology and i am doing research about socialization in Chinese junior and middle high schools. Obviously it’s deeper than that, but I want to observe classes, interview teacher and analyze textbooks. It is mostly about the teachers behavior and agency.

And i know that i would need to handle a lot of bureaucratic things, but I still think it’s easier to handle when I am there, as no one is willing to answer my mails.
That’s why I have big problems of getting the visa, so that I can try it directly in China

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

Suggest you get a tourist visa, come here and look around in person.

Yes I also thought about this, but iguess I would consider that as my very last option, because it’s just too risky, because a tourist visa or if my friend invites me, means that I can stay for three months, and if i don’t find any option within three months .. maybe then it was a waste of time and money. But I consider that, when there will not be a miracle or something like that, that I can have a visa for a longer stay or the permission or a university or something. I guess, everything right now depends on the visa, because it’s easier to get in touch with the embassy and the school when I am there. Really frustrating

Ishmael (462 posts) • 0

For getting things done, I think getting the tourist visa should now be your first option rather than your last, as you seem to have no personal contacts here. And it seems to me that your project should work out.

It will definitely be an option for me, but for applying tourist visa I don’t need much time, so when I want to „start“ in October, I still have time to figure other things out. That’s why I posted it here, to hopefully get new advices or some hints I can follow.

So thank you already for your answers!

Cahzriel (26 posts) • 0

You're going to need a connection to be a visiting scholar. Try contacting the Foreign Affairs Office of various universities throughout Kunming/Pu'er. Good luck. Getting a research permit from the provincial government can be a bit tricky.

Cahzriel (26 posts) • 0

You're going to need a connection to be a visiting scholar. Try contacting the Foreign Affairs Office of various universities throughout Kunming/Pu'er. Good luck. Getting a research permit from the provincial government can be a bit tricky.

maybe I should be a bit more annoying to them, I don´t know, like sending the mails again and again. I already sent mails to EVERY university in Yunnan Province, but it seems like they don´t use these mail addresses, because a lot of times the addresses don´t even exist. Really hard to get in contact with anyone. But i try to do it again and again and again.

Related forum threads

Login to post