GoKunming Forums

Looking for volunteer opportunities

Gcubed (2 posts) • 0

I'm an English teacher and I am looking to do some short-term volunteer teaching in a mountain village somewhere near Kunming.

Where would I look for these sorts of opportunities?

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks,
G

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • +1

Tzu Chi Foundation (慈济, CiJi) often travel (via hired chartered buses) to rural outskirts 50-150km (or farther) from Kunming to provide supplies & assistance to those in need.

This Kunming-based charity organization may welcome foreign English teachers for their frequent missions. Not sure. You'll have to touch base with the Tzu Chi volunteer leaders (info end of post).

Many of the members are Buddhists, but you don't have to be one to join. Compassion & time, all that are required. Tzu Chi has world-wide reach. Their members consist of retired or active professionals with day jobs who find free time to help the impoverished, the sick, the foster children, or the elders.

For reference, here's an old English article published by their foundation, titled "Tzu Chi Delivers Winter Aid to Thousands Across China - Yunnan:"

tw.tzuchi.org/[...]

---

Their recent charity works in Yunnan, updated today and three days ago. Posts are in Chinese, but with pictures:

www.tzuchi.org.cn/[...]

------------

云南省昆明市五华区 人民中路傲城大厦 B7200号房

TEL(0871)63622629

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

The "Have a Heart" foundation (I think) operates a hostel just outside Kunming - if you want to assist the farmers with their volunteer farming. It's not exactly a remote mountainous location like Shangrila (Xiang ge li la) - which MAY be controlled access - especially if you're a religious missionary (not saying you are) attempting to proselytize the indigents.

You can look them up in the Gokm listings. Go to the Gokm listings FIRST, then hunt for the ever elusive SEARCH bar.

Ishmael (462 posts) • -1

Maybe workaway is useful but the workaway opportunities in Laos I've heard about to be a matter of people pretending to work with little benefit to anybody. Might be better in China, I don't know.

Related forum threads

Login to post