GoKunming Forums

Bricked Router

bluegrass14 (126 posts) • 0

I was updating the firmware on my Linksys router yesterday and something happened during the update that rendered the router inoperable (aka bricked). Does anyone have experience getting a router fixed here? I spent several hours looking at online forums, but couldn't find a way to fix it myself.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I found plenty of videos on Youtube on how to unbrick a Linsys router. What is the model number

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Assume you tried the factory reset instructions for your router...

Unless you're router is really unique or valuable, new ones can be had for 100rmb.

Never tried, but ddrt or tomato are open source router os. You could install on of those.

It's WRT1200AC. I looked at a number of videos, but given that the router is continually cycling through powering on and off, I can't establish a connection via ethernet cable long enough to use TFTP. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like the only option is to open the thing up and use a serial connection...

@Alex, yeah, I've done the factory reset and the 30-30-30, no change with either of them. The router is pretty decent ($100+ new) so I'd like to get it working again. I am using a cheaper 100rmb one in the meantime.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

There are two (2) ways to reset the Linksys WRT1200AC to factory defaults:
Hardware Reset – Press and hold the Reset button at the back panel of the Linksys WRT1200AC for about 10 seconds then release.
Software Reset – Log in to your Linksys cloud account.

Under Router Settings, click Troubleshooting > Diagnostics.

Click Reset under Factory reset.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Something on the motherboard probably fried then. Not sure Linksys has the best quality. Every time I've researched routers, Amazon reviews have told me to stay away from Linksys. But if you got three years out it, then that's fine.

You could try flashing it with ddrt or tomato, but not for the tech unsavy.

Related forum threads

Login to post