GoKunming Forums

ExpressVPN

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Thanks. I did something or other, new version of ExpressVPN, seems to be working again. But I'm continually reminded of Chuck Berry's "Too Much Monkey Business", half a mind to chuck it all & go look for a job in a car wash.
Damned twinky electrons.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

I'm also just sneaking through on Hong Kong 1 using "TCP" protocol. Everything else seems dead.

SmurfyPants (14 posts) • +1

I’m using a different VPN (downloaded from the American AppStore) and just this morning while I was trying connect had a notification from the App saying “Due to policy, the service is not available in China”.

Side note: Apparently, according to Reddit, Express VPN is based in HK, and hence not completely “safe” to use (as in not entirely free from gov regulation)?

vicar (817 posts) • +3

Nothing on the internet is completely safe. You should understand this.

SmurfyPants (14 posts) • 0

By “not safe” I intended to mean “be more likely to be tracked by the government than w/ companies based outside of China”. Or maybe it’s not true. I don’t know.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +2

More likely to be interfered with or shut down, I think. I am sure that all service providers in greater China will find that over time their operations will be influenced more and more by the mainland.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

ExpressVPN is headquartered in British Virgin Islands, although they have servers around the world.

vicar (817 posts) • 0

So it's not the government you should worry about its Richard Branson in his basement.

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

EXPRESSVPN!!!
What a week or two it's been with them :o( No regular connections like before, just click and hope. Then spend the next Ten minutes fiddling about trying different locations or protocols.

Seems like a war at the moment!

@SmurfyPants Unless you're some kind of deep China spy, I wouldn't really worry about the government tracking your computer wherever the VPN company has it's holdings ;o)

@Vicar Yep, everyday you can read about some company or government department that's been hacked. If their hacking these then us small fry are no problem. So an individual's only real safety comes with the fact that their pretty much too worthless to bother with lol

Related forum threads

Login to post