GoKunming Forums

Online Masters in TESOL

jgold (20 posts) • 0

Has anyone here looked into online MEd TESOL/TESL programs from American/Canadian/British Universities? Do you have any thoughts on these programs? I've taught for a couple of years and would like something more involved than a Certificate diploma.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

I looked in to this, but did not go forwards, for reason 2 below. There are lots of things to consider here, including:

1. Reason why you want to do it. Career development, bragging rights, personal development.
If for career development, or personal growth. This can affect your choices when you weigh up the other factors listed below.
If for career, there are few benefits in China, as currently you do not need a Master to teach English. Nor do you need a Master or DELTA to become a DOS. BTW a DOS pay is not that much higher than a teacher in most places, but it is a lot more stress.

2. Age. If you are 50 or older, you will never get the money back that you have invested. Bearing in mind that it will take you 3 years or more to complete, and you will find it hard to find management posts over the age of 60. You may even be forced to retire.

3. Cost. Cost can vary a lot, between institutions. Also, in some states they may offer lower cost tuition if you are still classed as resident. There is also a big difference in cost between a DELTA and an MEd.

4. Institution offering the program.. Some have better recognition than others. This may only really affect you if you want to work in better institutions in Europe or major English speaking countries.

5. Course choice. Depending on your chosen career path, an MEd in applied linguistics may offer you more courses suited to school management, but still provide a high linguistics content.
Also within any postgrad program, you will find optional courses that may appeal more to you, than those in another program.
Additionally, some distance learning programs may require you to attend a residential summer school.
Review processes should also be considered. Cheaper courses may use more peer, and less teaching staff, reviews. This may or may not appeal to you.

If you want to be the most highly qualified teacher in China, it is probably not worth it.
If you want a career in the Chinese state system, they will use your education, but only offer you a pay increment, you will never be a manager.
If you want to be a DOS, not needed.
If you want to be a more 'banging' teacher, there are better ways.
If you want a career in international schools, beyond your time in China, it is probably worth getting an MEd.

Just my 2c. I am sure there are other views.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

Agree with everything above.

Also should consider where you plan to go with it, if not China as here anthing over BA is nothing more than a sidenote. Most of the Mid East, Indonesia, Kazakhstan for example, will not recognise degrees done off campus.

For international schools it may still be off the mark. The big boys would put a teachers licence from your home before a higher degree.

A Delta would put you in a very select crowd though, but there's nowhere in China that does Delta module 2 by distance learning I think.

jgold (20 posts) • 0

Thank you very much, the idea would be to both change positions here and then go abroad. @Tiger, you looked into it here? Are there any local Universities that have this or a similar program in Kunming (Or maybe Beijing/Shanghai)

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Although I was in China, I was looking into distance learning options. That was a few years ago, I have not investigated the current situation.

Related forum threads

Login to post