GoKunming Forums

Why is China so materialistic?

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

"If you stopped your average man in the street and asked him how much his shoes/ socks/ watch cost, he would be able to remember how exactly how much they were and where he bought them. " but he couldnt tell you the last time he cleaned them (shoes) probably never.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

The Ancient Greeks were the first to introduce sumptuary laws, 700BC.
In part sumptuary laws throughout history were considered necessary to maintain social order. China's recent 'anti-extravagance laws' are the latest example, but they seem to only apply to government. However, when you look at the number of top end restaurants that have gone bust, or at least down-market, you can see how big this grey market was.

It is worth noting that China has had sumptuary laws of on form or another since the Qin dynasty in the second century BC.
Chinese extravagance also has a history equal to that in the west. "Kenneth Pomeranz has researched consumption levels in China over the several centuries before and during the period of intense industrial expansion in Europe (after 1800). He suggests that consumption levels of luxuries such as tea, sugar, fine silk, tobacco and eating utensils were on a par with core regions in Europe until industrial expansion." en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumptuary_law#China

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

I wish they would copy the west more. That is Europe, not the USA. I mean in the field of going towards smaller cars with smaller engines. The parking below my flat is filled with enormous cars with enormous engines. An AUDI Q7 with 4.5 litre engine is not even available in my home country. Here it seems the standard for going shopping in the mall around the corner. Even small cars like a VW Polo here has to have a 1.6 litre engine.

xyz123 (3 posts) • 0

or netherlands even better. people going back to using bicycles to get to work. advanced societies have caught on that mindless consumption actually degrades quality of life.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

@liuming
Really?
-silk
-silver
-gold
-tea
-flowers
-animals
-ivory
-pelts and fur
-Ridiculous health remedies
-alcohol (baijiu)
-certain foods

I am certain that Chinese were able to waste vast amounts of miney on crap before the white face arrived.

One thing about western items is that they offer reluabilty, quality and safety....exception apple products...lol

So Chinese can afford quality now, why not buy it?But in Chinese culture that's not enough. Mianzi means you need to show it off.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Class society produces 2 things: opposition to upper classes and imitation of upper classes. Both become significant internationally as well as nationally, especially with increased globalization and with global media. Happens with intensity with rapid economic rise. Local variations derived from local cultural-historical backgrounds.

xyz123 (3 posts) • 0

I met a woman with the last 3 versions of the iphone. I said why don't you get rid of (sell?) the iphone 4 and 5? Oh no! It means a lot to me!
What a joke.

konepiece (3 posts) • 0

I think it's because that most Chinese have lost our belief. Inner peace have become very precious thing nowdays. The youth dont live for dreams or ideals but for materials. It's sad that we wont earn others's respect anymore.

Mixian Cartel (1 post) • 0

Oh gee, look. Westerners on GoKunming whining and complaining about China. What a novel idea.

Related forum threads

Login to post