GoKunming Forums

looking for translation

DreadJohn (4 posts) • 0

I'm visiting soon and would like to purchase some teas but only organic. Can someone share the characters I need to look for? Thanks in advance.

DreadJohn (4 posts) • 0

thanks for responding. I know Pu-erh is the popular tea in this area, but I'm not looking for any specific tea necessarily. I just want to recognize the characters that might indicate tea that's been grown without chemicals. Thanks again.

JeanDP (77 posts) • 0

土生茶? Tea here is so complicated and has its own vocabulary. Your best bet, in my opinion, is to go to a tea market with a Chinese person who can help you narrow down what you are interested in, and teach you about how to buy tea in China (accepting the offer to sit down with the owner and try several, how to act, etc.). You will end up with much better tea this way.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

It's 有机 youji. Derived from organic chemistry. Organic teas will cost several times more and most likely be puer. The green foods certification doesn't necessarily mean organic as pesticide use is still allowed. Best to question the actual plantation owner about their methods.

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

@Haali Not heard of being helpful on a forum? Tried your way with a google and didn't come up with result needed.

Search engines don't always point to exactly what you need :o)

JeanDP (77 posts) • 0

Sorry, I meant 有机. I was confused with the name of a restaurant.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Alex is right. You need to get to know growers/producers to be sure of what you buy. A label saying organic, has no meaning around. Even in Yiwu - called home of Puer tea - labels dont mean much. Best is to build a relationship with a grower/producer/reliable seller, or team up with someone who already has a relationship of that kind.

A few years ago, when business was good, it was difficult to make friends in these circles, nobody cared an inch if you didnt come around with a bag full of gold. These days when theres dark clouds around the corner, even Puer growers have become friendly, and may even appreciate you buying just one brick of tea.

Related forum threads

Login to post