GoKunming Forums

Computer service

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

What kind of computer is it? Mac or PC? In warranty or not? How bad is the problem?

In general, screens require replacing and cannot be repaired.

In addition, most laptops have different screens, which means spare parts may not be in stock unless you have a very common model (eg. Macbook Air).

If the part is not in stock anywhere, it may mean either leaving your laptop at a shop for a long time or paying up front and waiting a long time for them to buy the part before you leave it awhile to get swapped out.

Either way you are looking at a serious bill and it may be worth considering just buying a new laptop.

Newer laptops are generally lighter with better performance and longer battery life. If you do opt for a new laptop, any shop can open your laptop, take your your hard disk, and help you copy files to the new system.

A new system will get you going immediately (or within a few hours including copying your old hard disk data) ... repairs could easily take weeks to wait for parts unless you have a very common model.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

One of the reasons I prefer desktop computers to laptops is the longer lifespan and greater ability to upgrade.
In this particular case is the laptop being used at home? If so, do you have an external monitor or even a TV that be connected to a VGA or HDMI port until a final solution can be found?

MartaJU (6 posts) • 0

It is Acer laptop with Dell screen. It was just replaced. The problem is that is working SOMETIMES. It is strange but if the computer is hot-it is working, if it's not the screen just turns white. So I think the guy who replaced the screen in India just did it fast and maybe something is not done to the end. Anyway somebody has to check it at least. And maybe of course we will just buy a new laptop, but when the screen is workin everything else is ok. Thats why I' just looking for anybody who can check it in Kunming. Thanks.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Huge computer market buildings near central university campuses on or just off 121 da jie. They can repair stuff.

jopasny (184 posts) • 0

I second the computer market off of 121. They'll be able to fix it quickly. You may have to wait a few days if they need to order the part, but it can probably be gotten quickly.

If it comes down to replacing the laptop display, it doesn't have to be that costly. Depending on how common the part is, you should be able to get a replacement for only a few hundred RMB + labour.

One thing to watch out for is that some people will incorrectly diagnose computer/electronics problems too quickly, or just don't want to figure out the real root of the issue. It's good to take it to a few people (who are usually located close by).

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

If it has already been repaired and still exhibits problems I would be doubly keen to consider cutting your losses and invest in an alternative. New laptops can be had for a few 1000 RMB. Spending half that for a fix that may or may not stick around doesn't seem wise.

To get to the 121 computer market, walk downhill down the restaurant street from Beimenjie (northern edge of Yunnan University), turn left and the largest building is immediately on your left.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

@MartaJu
No, it is not ChengGong district. It is just between the old zoo and 121 street downtown on Yuantong North Road.

MartaJU (6 posts) • 0

Thanks everybody! I took bus 4 to go there. I think I was just on the street, where some people were repearing computers. Anyway they changed my screen and for now, it's working!

Related forum threads

Login to post