GoKunming Forums

Cantonese, where to learn?

SpartansSpartans (184 posts) • 0

Are there any schools in Kunming? Or do I have to go to Guandong? What about the material?

Any cool books with English explanations?
thanks

Daithi (426 posts) • 0

My girlfriend is a very experienced teacher, working as a manager at an excellent English school and she also speaks fluent English.

I have PMed you.

David

Tmac17 (6 posts) • 0

Mandarins has 4 pitches while Cantonese has 9. If you do read Chinese then it'd be easier because you can focus on speaking and listening . Also as a native speaker, I think the pinyin system is not well organized so it's kind of tricky, if not impossible, to learn . Books you can look on taobao etc loads of them but I am not sure how helpful it can be . Guangdong is more a Mandarins speaking place now unless you go to smaller cities. HK might be better. To start I d say include some canton pop in your playlist .

John Xie (109 posts) • 0

I could teach Cantonese and Manderin. I speak good English. no cantonese -English study material readly available, but I could make one for you with audio the same time. even though it is said cantonese has 9 pitches, but its not very true. pitches are less a problem compared to manderin.
my number 13354949490. same for wechat. thanks!

Darryl (32 posts) • 0

I use www.cantoneseclass101.com/ although I find it's more geared to students who don't already know putonghua. Using the pdfs in combination with the podcasts at least helps you lean how the characters should be pronounced differently.

Related forum threads

Login to post