GoKunming Forums

Dragon Boat festivities?

bexkmg (4 posts) • 0

Does anyone know of Dragon boat festivities happening around Kunming today? Any boat races at Dianchi/Fuxian, etc.? I assume not Cuihu because it's too small..

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

It's not Dragon Boat Day until tomorrow. I doubt anything will be happening today that's dragon boat related.

I'd be interested if there was mind.

bexkmg (4 posts) • 0

went to the "competition" at minzucun yesterday and it was pretty lame. it seems like people pre-signed up or paid to do the boat races and just not worth the trip to go see them. we waited for nearly an hour to see one race.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

5/5 - May 5th - Lunar Calendar =

1 - Duan Yang Jie - 端阳节 - Solar Maximus Festival - summer solstice or longest day of the year.

2 - Long Zhou Jie - 龙舟节 - Dragon Boat Festival-

3 - Duan Wu Jie - 端午节 -

Pre-existing Holiday - Traditional rituals of the Duan Wu Festival mostly relate to rituals designed to avoid disease during the mid-summer months. Modern researchers theorized that the commemoration of Qu Yuan or Wu Zixu were superimposed onto an existing holiday tradition and has subsequently overtaken the original significance. The festival is a celebration of ancient agrarian societies in East Asia:

Mugwort – Wormwood – Ai Cao - 艾草 - Since ancient times Mugwort was used as a magical protective herb to repel insects and to protect against evil spirits.

Calamus – Sweet Flag – Chang Pu - 菖蒲 - The name Sweet Flag refers to its sweet scent and it has been used as a Strewing Herb –

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorus_calamus

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strewing_herb

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

www.gokunming.com/[...]

www.gokunming.com/en/blog/item/2988/dragon_boat_festival

Thu, Fri, Sat - June 9, 10 11.

Some school schedules have changed because of the Dragon Boat Festival (June 9 - 11) and because of Gao Kao (June 7 + 8) testing. Many students' classes will be cancelled so that the seniors can use their classrooms for Gao Kao testing. Some of my wife's students did not come to class this weekend.

www.gokunming.com/en/forums/thread/9928/gao_kao_weekend

Related forum threads

Login to post