GoKunming Forums

Looking for the best Coffee in KM

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

The best I've found so far is Lanyard Coffee (良友咖啡). The dude running the place really knows his stuff, and is very friendly. He buys green beans from a lot of high grade and specialty growers around the world, and roasts several times a week. He also has a decent supply of coffee gear (chemex, hario, aeropress, etc).

The first time I visited his shop, he brewed me a bunch of different excellent coffees as we tried to pin down what kind of beans I wanted to buy.

The shop is tucked away in the Beichen residential area, and a little hard to find. But luckily, it's listed on Gokunming:

www.gokunming.com/en/listings/item/33396/lanyard_coffee_shop

Here's his Taobao shop (free shipping in Kunming):

item.taobao.com/[...]

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

If you're in the market for brewed coffee (or espresso, of course) instead of beans, I'd recommend Elephant Bookstore. They buy their beans from Lanyard and a few other sources, and use all the proper "third wave" techniques to make some excellent joe.

jopasny (184 posts) • 0

This is my favourite place: j.map.baidu.com/IQR73

It's just off of Dong Feng Dong lu and shares a space with a travel agency. They don't sell whole bean, unfortunately, but they're drinks are well priced (15 rmb for an americano).

I also recommend elephant bookstore for good coffee, but it ain't cheap.

Lastly, I was buying my whole bean from Coffea at the Wan Da mall, up until I received several bags of home roasted coffee from Canada. It's a Korean chain, but the coffee is actually good and reasonably priced for whole bean if you buy in larger quantities.

Speaking of roasting, if you can get some green beans home roasting can be the most effective way to get your coffee to taste how you want it to. I was able to do this with a cheap popcorn air popper that I got on taobao for about 50rmb. This is actually one of the most effective methods for home roasting too. A lot of times the cheaper poppers are better, it's just hit or miss as to whether they have a thermostat inside to trigger an auto-shut off when the temperature gets too hot (usually below the temperature you need to roast coffee, <400 degrees). Stupid safety.

I'm curious about this Chenggong Korean coffee character now. Where exactly is his store?

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Im sorry, cant help but say this loud - no mean to offend OP or anyone. Probably annpying, but here it goes anyway.

Yes, well, someone must have figured out how to make fake coffee out there by now. Maybe best to stick with beans rather than powder, and double check them beans too.

jopasny (184 posts) • 0

fake coffee eh.... that would explain the massive 拉肚子 I had after those 7 cups of "Falgers".

Sydneyboy (5 posts) • 0

Where is the est coffee in Kunming?

Is there a coffee shop serving VN style coffee...I m addicted to that rich chocolate coffee flavour.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

@jopansy: "fake coffee eh.... that would explain the massive 拉肚子 I had after those 7 cups of "Falgers"."

Most people will get laduzi from seven cups of coffee.

@Sydneyboy: there are a couple of Vietnamese and SE Asian restaurants around town that serve the Vietnamese style.

Related forum threads

Login to post