GoKunming Forums

Healthcare for foreigners

DaWei15 (23 posts) • 0

For those of you that live in Kunming, what do you do in regards to healthcare if you need it?

Does China have healthcare insurance for foreigners?

Is healthcare expensive?

What happens if you have a medical emergency like a stroke, heart attack, etc? Will the Chinese EMS transport you to the hospital or will they be demanding money upfront and right away? What happens if you are incapacitated? Will they help or will they just let you sit there and die?

Daithi (426 posts) • 0

@Dawei15 that very much depends on whether they have read ur previous posts or not. In ur case Id be very worried if I was u.

Daithi (426 posts) • 0

@Dawei15 that very much depends on whether they have read ur previous posts or not. In ur case Id be very worried if I was u.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@DaWei: I can only answer two of your questions: 1. When I need healthcare I go to the Kunming No.2 Hospital; 2. It is not expensive.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I can answer the rest...
The bystanders will watch you die. The EMS will help you, but then you'll die in traffic. If you become incapacitated in front of Salvadors you have a good chance, not so much if Moondog. Unlike the beers, you pay after for healthcare.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Bystanders often remain that (especially when there's a fight), but I was helped by one when I passed out suddenly at a bus stop & fell into the bus lane. I woke up almost immediately & was okay after & so that was the end of it. Never had any other situations requiring random bystander help in many years here, so I can't comment on what may usually happen.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

some questions to better understand and give more specific advice. I had 2 friends who had serious medical problems here and they surviced and were treated well. 1 had a serious heart attack the other had a serious stomach surgery.

1 - How old are you?
2 - Do you have any medical conditions now?

latataille (118 posts) • 0

A Chinese public hospital saved my life, so I am the biggest fan of the Chinese healthcare system. Also, the international clinic on first ring road is excellent.

atwillden (109 posts) • 0

If you do require something specialized that China is not equipped to deal with (orthopedic surgery is a major one, or ongoing care for say cancer) you may want to buy additional insurance that includes medical evacuation to the nearest certified facilities (HK & Bangkok, or sometimes Aus/Europe). This is probably not necessary for 90% of people, but for some its nice to have. Packages like this run typically 7-15,000 RMB a year, and cover something in the range of 2 Million RMB in medical expenses per year.

Related forum threads

Login to post