GoKunming Forums

UNESCO Sites in China

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Italy is home to the greatest number of World Heritage Sites with (49) sites, followed by China (45) and Spain (44).

Yunnan is home to 5 UNESCO sites.

1. Lijiang Old Town - Lijiang
2. South China Karst – Stone Forest - Kunming
3. 3 Parallel Rivers of Yunnan Protected Areas
4. Chengjiang Fossil Site - Chengjiang County – Yuxi
5. Yuan Yang Terrace - Honghe

For more information visit this website -

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Heritage_Sites_in_China

I have visited 14 of the 45 sites so far and I am eager to visit the remaining sites.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I think the best sites are the ones that don't make that list now. Tourists swarm any place that shows up.

blue. (170 posts) • 0

I'd suggest to visit the place where has been shot "Avatar", in Hunan. Maybe the most amazing place I've ever seen in China.
...but be ready to be in the middle of a massive - ignorant - chinese tourism. Also quite expensive. But it worth.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Wu Ling Yuan in Zhang Jia Jie, Hunan is a UNESCO site but it has nothing to do with the movie Avatar. The movie was NOT filmed here but this scenic spot did put a statue of Avatar here and most people incorrectly believe the movie was filmed here. Great way to deceive the public and charge the ridiculous 400 Yuan entry fee.

Shi Bao Shan in Jianchuan, Dali is a Historical and Cultural site of Yunnan. It is NOT a UNESCO site as evidenced by the 5 UNESCO sites of Yunnan I previously listed.

CindyLi (36 posts) • 0

In addition to being named a UNESCO World Heritage Site (in 1997), according to Time.com, Lijiang of Yunnan was selected as one of the 100 World's Greatest Places for 2021:

time.com/[...]

Related forum threads

Login to post