GoKunming Forums

Teacher at university : scam ?

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

2.".....some of them pay more than 6000 RMB per month with living package." - Again, which ones and can you provide DETAILS of the FULL package, including what is required of the teacher (hours, number of students, weeks per annum, leave etc.

I know Owen Education offer more than 6000 per month, plus housing allowance, travel stipend, and attendance allowance for 80 hours a month, around 10 students per class. However as it is a training school, you have little annual leave and must work weekends. It all depends which is the higher priority for you. Money or free time.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I know the AIHS offer more that for FT (16hr). Visa and live in package.

Breaking contracts, as in leaving without notice, is not advised (as mentioned above)

Uni contracts usually state that there should be no outside work, without permission; and so it is allowed. Unless it affects your teaching for them, they don't care.
Apart from exam time, your 16 hours is just that. The rest of the time is yours. If you are an experienced English teacher, then very little class prep is needed. However, subject teaching requires a lot more work (as mentioned in Sbs earlier post).

Karina17 (70 posts) • 0

Hello,
I am now in Kunming, so I am coming back on this thread to give some feedbacks about my situation.
First of all, the university's staff was extremely pleasant to me.
The appartment is really great, I think they try to compensate the low salary with this beautiful place.

I won't have much working hours at the begining. The 16h will be from next semester.

The staff told me they are aware the salary is low, and that most teachers do off-site tutoring; they told me it's illegal but they perfectly understand why teachers do that, so I can do it, but I should not let them know ! Lol !
So even if the pay is low (it seems my English coworkers get the same) it's still a comfortable way to come to China for a first-timer. When I

see how the different process I did with the staff (police and so), I feel blessed that I hadn't to do it on my own !
As well they told me that if I stay next year I will got a raise.
We will see...

HuangJin (7 posts) • 0

Ill say it is true that foreign teachers always get higher pay and less workload at private uni than teachers at public uni.

Related forum threads

Login to post