GoKunming Forums

good soymilk?

JessicaBaker (78 posts) • 0

The soymilk found in metro is very watery and i was wondering if any ones knows of a place to buy better soymilk

bjtokm (193 posts) • 0

I have wondered myself, where to get good chocolate soy milk! A lot of Chinese people seem to get the machines that make soy milk.. then its super fresh and good! but i don't have one myself and cant recommend one in particular.( the machine)

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

I don't know if it's unhealthy, but I do it the archaic way: blend lightly boiled skinless beans with some water, then use a strainer and boil the milk a bit more and add sugar or cocoa powder (might taste better with black beans) if necessary.

I do it in large quantity and store in the fridge

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Basically the soy milk cookers are a blender in a tall boiling vessel. The biggest brand is Joyoung. You do get what you pay for, the more expesive ones are faster, and also much easier to clean (ours only needs to be rinsed thoroughly, but do it while it is hot before the stuff dries on).

You can put in the beans and water (we use drinking water not tap), put it on the dry bean setting and it takes 20mins. Or you can soak beans overnight. The only bugbear is that you need to strain the cooked liquid to take out the remaining solids. You need to push it through the strainer really.

Advantages, fresh and you can also mix beans. My wife like a 60/40 soybean/peanut mix.

Tip, most people throw away the dou zha. It makes a really tasty dip or side dish.

INGREDIENTS
Dou zha
Garlic
Sesame oil
Salt
Green onion (optional)

Take some garlic, and fry in a little sesame oil until soft. Add the dou zha and heat through, you can also add a little water to thin it if desired. Add finely chopped green onion, and salt to taste.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

At the Thai restaurant called (I think) Tai Lai or Tai Mai or something like that, right off of Renming Zhong Lu, they sell Thai soy milk in glass bottles. It is by far the most delicious soy milk that I have ever had, even though the food at the place is not good.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Also, you can buy fresh soy milk every morning from many of the breakfast street vendors. Especially those who sell you tiao, the long fried bread sticks. Some sell it sealed in the big drink cups.

Related forum threads

Login to post