GoKunming Forums

Going to Vietnam

apex88KMG (1 post) • 0

Hi GoKunming friends:

I am itching to go to Vietnam since I will be in Kunming, and why the hell not. I was wondering if you seasoned travelers out there could advise me on the easiest way to get to Hanoi, and if you could offer up some suggested websites/agencies to book. I am looking for a hassle-free trip (although nothing in China is hassle-free). Any recommendations on hostels would also be warmly welcomed.

Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Zak Telems

ksmcqueen (96 posts) • 0

Best way is to take an overnight bus from the East bus station down to HeKou, then walk across the border to Lao Cai, then overnight train from there to Hanoi. I've done it, it's not bad. You might consider taking a minibus to Sapa (about 1.5 hours, 50,000 dong) for a day or two while you're in Lao Cai, it's touristy but extremely beautiful, small town with lovely rice terraces and oxen and Hmong minority villages and homestays and such. You can buy a bus ticket at the east bus station, and a train ticket at the Lao Cai train station with no difficulty.

zetko (2 posts) • 0

I am planning to take my motorbike and go around Vietnam and Laos during Chinese New Year holiday (9days trip). If you want a bit of adventure, you don't mind road dust and take a ride with me you can leave me a message...

alibubu (1 post) • 0

Hey guys, I'm Vietnamese believe me you would hate the night bus from here to Hekou, It's dirty and takes longer time than the morning shift. They have a early bus from 9.40 every morning you can arrive to Hekou at 4 or 5 pm, after it you have time to search taxi or mini with 50000 dong(about 15Yuan) to get to bus and train station ( Ga Lao Cai). Train ticket is expensive at this moment. I have a friend is going to Vietnam at 4th Feb. If you want to know more information or want to come along just reply to this cmt.

James2012 (10 posts) • 0

Whilst the day bus may be quicker, it can also be brutal, i've done it coming the opposite way and it's not that much quicker; the roads were bad, and the the buses are poor (little space and over-crowded).

I personally prefer the night bus because you can at least stretch your legs (this journey can be anywhere from 10 - 13 hours), have a bit more personal space, and if you're lucky, get some sleep. Getting through the border is relatively hassle free, just walk across and then take a cab to the station. You can even walk it if you're travelling lightly.

The train from Lao Cai is likely to be less hassle free. You will be arriving in Vietnam just a few days before Tet festival and travelling at this time can be stressful. Many migrants workers from China will be doing the same journey along with locals from Lao Cai, meaning that you might not be able to get a ticket to Hanoi, which means either taking a bus (hellish) or buying a ticket from a tout at the station for at least double the price of the original. It's worth getting a soft seat for this journey if can, despite how much you think you're being taken for a ride (see what i did there?) with the ticket price, the hard seats and the carriages where they are located are grim, and this is a long journey.

Get used to people over-charging you the minute you set foot in Vietnam, from changing money, to taxi's, and even little things like bread, snacks etc, they will try to squeeze every last penny from you. This is the only down-side to Vietnam in my experience but try to remember also that generally the over-charging is usually for little amounts. Just accept that as a non-native, you're going to be paying more than the locals for most things, accept it now, and haggle with a smile where you can. Vietnam is a beautiful country with beautiful people, you will have a great time if you don't get too hung up on being over-charged for a few Dong here and there. Have a great time and don't forget to say 'Chuc Mung Nam Moi!' to the locals.

Related forum threads

Login to post