GoKunming Forums

'Green card' process may get easier

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

Can one work on a "Green Card" with no other visas/permits?
And does having Chinese wife help/hinder the green card procedure?

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

@Ocean, my understanding that if married to Chinese national we can apply for a green card in 5 years and have to spend a minimum of 9 months every year in china. That is why it is important to keep passports to prove you have been in china the required time every year.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

Thanks @tallamerican, though I'd heard the "marriage green card" isn't sufficient for working here? You still need a work visa/residents permit...?
(also, do you know if that is 5 years of marriage or five years in China?)

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

It's 5 continuous years with the same women for 5 years. If you get divorced within the 5 years, you have to start again.

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

@Ocean: Yeah, I'm pretty sure the marriage GC doesn't allow you to work, which is pretty stupid since there's no real difference between that and going to renew your family visa every year. I guess you save 3 hours and 600 yuan, but apart from those the benefits are laughable. Now, I can understand why most countries would like to protect themselves from mass immigration from questionable individuals, but I've always wondered why it should be such a damned hassle for people who are married to a national, can support themselves and don't cause any problems.

Ideally it should be something like this: You've got a wife and a kid in China and you hold/have found a decent job. Your local work bureau and the PSB approve and you get a 1 year work visa. On renewal you show them tax receipts and letter of employment or proof of self-employment and the z-visa is renewed automatically as long as you're married and are employed. Personally I'd like to see a real marriage visa implemented in the Chinese system because they just don't have it currently. I'm not going to need it since I'm setting up a WFOE right now but all the red tape, headaches and resentment I've built up over the past 2 years is not something I'd wish on my worst enemy.

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

We should remember that in China, for men at age 60, you not work any more. You are retired. You cannot get a work permit. For women the age of retirement is 55.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Items needed to renew Residence Permit for foreigners married to Chinese.

1. Visa Application with Passport Photo
2. Copy of Passport (USA # 12345678)
3. Copy of most recent Visa
4. Copy of last Entry Stamp (May 15, 2010)
5. Copy of Marriage Certificate (May 15, 2011)
6. Copy of Wife's ID Card (May 15, 1975)
7. Copy of Wife's Kunming ID Card
8. Copy of Residence Certificate

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

If your wife is NOT from Yunnan, then she needs to get a Kunming ID card from the local Police Dept if you are renewing your Residence Permit in Kunming. If you return to your wife's hometown, then a Kunming ID card is Not required.

Related forum threads

Login to post