Richland International Hospital

GoKunming Forums

Teaching English in universities

Lucky lucy (11 posts) • 0

Hey there

My friend is a native English speaker and she wants to find a job in Yunnan as a college English lecturer. She doesn't like teaching in private schools. So if you know any university that is looking for native English speaker. drop me a line. You can reach me at

P.S There are job ads all over but most of them are for teaching in private schools. My friend is looking for teaching in university!!
If you are teaching in a uni and don't mind sharing me your experience of how to get in there, i'd appreciate it!



tigertiger - moderator (5084 posts) • 0

First thing I would like to point out is that Univesities and Colleges are not as synonymous here in China, as they are back home.

Generally, universities are for students who passed the university entrance exam (GaoKao), a national test. Colleges are places of learning for those who fail the GaoKao. The level of ability and motivation is different. As are the regulations and style of management.

Most unis recruit in April for the following Autumn.
Some may be recruiting now for February, but this is usually only after a teacher leaves mid-contract. This is unusual, but does happen.

The best thing to do is contact the university direct, via the Foreign Affairs Office, or the Language faculty (if they have one).

Colleges are similar with regards to recruitment schedules. Vacancies may come up more often as staff retention may not be as high as at a uni. Colleges often do not have a foreign affairs office. Colleges may come under the banner of a university, but it is a lose partnership. The rules governing the uni do not apply to the college.

tigertiger - moderator (5084 posts) • 0

There are a couple of High School programmes in Kunming, for US and UK exams.
One of them is recruiting now. Check the jobs again here. I think it was ACT or GED or both.

Gongsun (13 posts) • 0

I taught at Qujing Normai University three years ago when they employed six native speakers, but last I knew they had cut back to just one. I was also offered posts at Honghe and Zhaotong Normal universities, but maybe they have cut back as well. Your friend could always try a high school, They are not private, they are state run. There are probably more posts available in that sector than in the public university sector.
By the way, I take it you mean teacher, rather than lecturer.

Login to post