GoKunming Forums

Teaching In Kunming: K-12 vs. Language School

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

One to watch out for. University pay should be fixed in Beijing, but watch out for hour creep. Anything over 15-16 you should get overtime.

Although KUST has a good reputation academically, beware of KUST attached colleges.

I worked at one, they say they only offer hourly pay, no flights/visa etc. So technically you are illegal, even if you have visa to work elsewhere. They then proceeded to break a lot of the verbal agreements I had made, simply stating 'not in contract'.

I interviewed at another KUST college for a post, they wanted a DOS but were only paying teacher rates of pay, and very low rates (much less than 100/hr). They suggested I supplement the income by teaching 30/hr per week. Also they would not pay for any admin I did (as DOS) only teaching time.
Any management that would let someone try to teach 30hrs/wk is not good. Yes you could do it, I am sure that there are teachers who would, but quality would suffer. As would the sanity of the teacher.

samsam (1 post) • 0

Thanks for all the useful information. Is there any demand for foreign (non-Chinese-speaking) people to teach subjects such as math and science in the universities? Of course the Chinese-speaking staff can do this well, but I figure there must be some demand, for example by students preparing to apply for graduate school in western universities. Just checking as I would prefer to work in a university but do not want to teach language classes!

Related forum threads

Login to post