GoKunming Forums

How are Black-Aqmericans treated?

mightymouse (4 posts) • 0

I'll be moving to Kunming in August, and was wondering if it will be hard to find a job because I'm black. I'm currently a student and now I want to learn another language seeing that I already know German fluently. I have read online that there will be some places that won't hire me based on race,is this true? I plan to stay in Kunming for about 6 months to a year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Like the plaque. Ha..ha. Just kidding. Yes, there is discrimination especially against blacks. Thanks to all the movies depicting blacks as thugs and gangsters. You will definitely have a harder time getting a job but it's not impossible. You will be looked at more. My wife's friend (my wife is Chinese) daughter is seeing/dating a black guy (American) and her mother and entire family are freaking out! Just smile and be friendly and hope for the best. Welcome to Kunming!

crazy.laowai (242 posts) • 0

Unfortunately, black Americans in China are often looked down upon by the locals. It is terrible, but many Chinese English schools want a "white face" to show the parents. I do, however, know a couple of black Americans in Kunming who are quite successful teachers, because they are great people with great attitudes. They have managed to overcome the prejudice.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

If you can dj, rap, or play an instrument, there are some opportunities in the bar/club scene.

Calgrad (1 post) • 0

It depends..on a lot of things.... on how dark you are..your attitude...if you speak Chinese. I've been in China a long time and racism in China is not like it is in the States. I have friends who are lighter and have no problem. One was a model and starred in a Chinese movie.

Those that are darker, they have issues. But once people get to know them, it goes away.

I'm mixed (Black and White) and I haven't had any problems. I've had no problems with anyone in Kunming; most people are really nice and I'm the only foreigner in my apartment complex. I speak Chinese and I got to know my neighbors. I'm also a similar color to Southeast Asians so they don't trip.

JJ and Janice (324 posts) • 0

A Chinese police official (a friend) explained to me that most prejudice against blacks stemmed from those coming from African nations with drugs. According to him, most of those from Africa had contraband of some type - - so extreme prejudice.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

That's true. The darker you are the more the prejudice. I'd read several articles about the influx of Africans in Guang Zhou and how they are creating tensions between them and the Chinese locals. Here in Kunming I think that you will be mostly alright. Don't worry about it.

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

@Calgrad unfortunately, there is some prejudice held against foreigners and people with darker skin in China in general. This includes SE Asians such as Thais (those without Chinese ethnicity) and Malaysians with only moderately tanned skin, the former receiving a bad rap in the eyes of many local Kunmingers according to my Chinese friends. This is not so much because of their appearence (indeed, there even seems to be some negativity towards ethnic Chinese Thais) but probably has something to do with cultural differences and possibly superior cultural attitudes on the part of both parties.

When it comes to black Africans and African Americans etc. the Chinese view is often one of extreme ignorance and occassionally downright prejudice, with mothers regularly shielding their kids once sight of a black person is made, although this is by no means the reaction everyone will give you. Most people will simply ignore you, just like they ignore me given that Kunming is a big city, but if you walk long distances from place to place there will probably be the odd person or two who decides they need to comment on your appearence or something - they'll probably do it behind your back, but that's not necessarily any more reassuring. It must be said that most racism in China is subtle and very rarely involves violence. So don't worry about that - what you will have to deal with are stares, comments and other forms of ignorance, many of which will be quite subtle in nature, but discriminatory nevertheless.

I will never understand the racist attitude by some Chinese that you have to be white to teach English, assuming that's the kind of work you are looking for. However, I think it could be that because China is so homogeneous, and the Chinese are used to associating someone's physical appearence with certain countries, they may not be aware that America, Australia, Canada etc. are actually very multicultural and that there are plenty of non-white people living there who are also citizens of those countries and fully integrated etc. This likely leads to the view that black people are "non-native" speakers and thus not qualified to teach. In addition to this, the prevailing negative attitude towards black people doesn't help either.

Personally, I think there are many people of different ethnic and cultural backgrounds who are very well qualified to teach English, probably much more than I am (I am an engineer, but in the past I did teach a bit of English on the side). For starters, I don't have any teaching qualifications and I don't even like teaching, it's mundane and offers no advancement opportunities, hence my lack of motivation in the past.

Therefore, get out there and fight any prejudice you may encounter! Be self-aware but don't let anyone get to you. Find a job and try your best to ensure that you won't be rejected because of what you look like. Most of all, try to make the most of your experience in Kunming. Like others have said, once people get to know you, the barriers do break down.

Related forum threads

Login to post