GoKunming Forums

Studying + Teaching part-time

CastoroCurioso (10 posts) • 0

Hi, everybody..
I've already posted this on another forum, but have got no reply so far.. thought I might try my luck here :)

I came here looking for advice, and I was hoping you could be so kind as to shed some light on an issue that has been haunting me for quite a while.. This is gonna be an awfully long post, and hence I apologize in advance :D

My name is Andrea, and come September I'll be off to Kunming, where I'm gonna spend the coming twelve months studying Chinese at KMUST (Kunming Uni of Science and Technology).

If I did my math right studying Chinese won't take up most of my time, being the course only a meager 10 hours a week; since I'm also currently working towards a distance-learning M.Ed. with a UK uni (Open University), I figured I might as well take up the next module starting in October and do it while in China - I wouldn't be committing such a crime,
would I. I mean, that is the whole point about distance learning study..

Anyway, my plan would be completing this 2nd module by september, and once I was done going straight for the two-months DELTA, which is run every year in October / November at International House Bangkok - possibly the closest provider.

The reason why I would jump straight to the delta is actually pretty straightforward: as delta holders get a 60 credit exemption towards the Master's, this would save me a fair deal of money (since another module at the OU would cost me pretty much the same), time and effort (not so sure about the latter, tho'...).

Now, while this is all good and well in theory, this foolish plan of mine presents some, err, logistical challenges, to say the least.

Even if we grant for the sake of argument that by next October my finances stay the same, thereby allowing me to spoil Cambridge with yet another gift of several thousand pounds, there still remains one fundamental problem - which is the very reason why I humbly decided
to turn to this community for some advice..

My problem seems to be, in order to apply for the DELTA I need to have at the very least some 1200 hours of teaching on my belt, which I don't have. I used to be a full time teacher in Thailand, I taught for several months before the floods came and I had to leave for my country.
So I figure - again, provided I'm doing the math right - I need to collect 700 hours or so in order to hit the 1200 figure, and I would have roughly one year to get there (truth be told, I have no idea whether part-time work qualifies towards that requirement.).

So, very simply put: are there part-time jobs to be found in Kunming? And would I be risking big time if I decided to teach while on a student visa?

As for the workload factor: I'm not afraid of working and studying at the same time, I was doing the exact same thing when I was in Thailand and I had just started studying with the OU..
I'll just get myself in the mindset that social life is overrated anyway and keep repeating myself that one day I'll be rich.

Teaching English :-/

Jokes aside, I guess my major concern at the moment is how realistic would it be to find a job that fitted well with my schedule and allowed me to work, say, 10 to 15 hours a week?? Do you reckon I might end up juggling between occasional gigs, being called on ridiculously short notice and asked to fill in for someone else (quite a lot of that happening in Thailand..), etc.? I know it's not exactly a bed of roses out there, but I just need to know roughly what to expect..

I don't know if this is of any relevance, but:

- No, I'm not a native speaker
- Yes, I am white, or white enough

- Yes, I do sound the part if I put an effort into it
- I am HANDSOME MAAAAAAAAAAN ... I know, it probably doesn't hold quite the same weight as it does in Thailand, does it :-/
- This won't be my first time in China.. I've studied Chinese in Haikou for the first half of last year, after which I left to Thailand to do my CELTA with the original intention of going back to China once I was done..
But I stupidly accepted a job offer, and the rest is history.

Thanks in advance for your time reading this and to those who will get
back to me with a reply :D

spiderboenz1 (18 posts) • 0

Illegally working on a student visa? That is a VERY good idea, especially with the crack-down on illegal foreigners that is currently happening throughout china.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@spiderboenz1 I agree. Sure you can probably work illegally somewhere but don't depend on that.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Working on student visa is NOT a good idea. It is illegal and, if caught, would probably insure your newly learned Chinese skills could only be used outside of China.

BTW, you wrote a blabla, nearly 800 word posting to tell the world you plan on engaging in an illegal activity. Can you give us your passport number, country, perhaps a photo? duh...

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

Uhm, is there a reason why you can't just do the reverse? Get a work visa, and study Chinese on the side...

TICexpats (207 posts) • 0

I guess you could do it, there are already hundreds of "illegal teachers" in Kunming.
You just need to weight up the cost/ loss benefit if you get caught and deported after you have been here lets say 3 weeks.
If you volunteered as a teacher, they would love you a "free foreign expert" that would get you the credit hours you need and not break the law.
Not sure that's the advice you are looking for though.

btw welcome to China

CastoroCurioso (10 posts) • 0

That was actually really helpful, thanks :)
Just needed to know if there was a way around it..
Money is not a major concern of mine, I'll just have to save more and spend less
Thanks!

Related forum threads

Login to post