GoKunming Forums

any western doctor /hospital ?

bochi (11 posts) • 0

I went to Richland recently with kidney stones which they correctly diagnosed. After that it was all downhill and Bucko's comments are correct. When they wanted a second blood test my ripoff meter went into the red!
I found the Yunnan Lithiasis Hospital to be excellent. They specialize in Kidney stones and you can get a ultra sound test for about 30Y and it takes only a few minutes. I recommend anyone over about 30 do this.

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

oh dear, this is a mixed bag and not too encouraging. we've booked to have our baby in the richland. Their obgyn department seems professional and friendly and so far has the answers we've wanted to hear to most of our questions. They are the only hospital in the city that has private rooms for mother, father and baby together for the whole labour and afterwards. They also seem to be the only hospital that acknowledges what every western pregnancy book says that the best position is absolutely not on your back with legs in the air. We've so far found them to be fairly on the ball but also kind and patient-oriented which is extremely important. There is NEVER any excuse for hospital staff to shout at a patient who asks questions (experienced in Kunming), refuse to allow a 2nd opinion in a life-threating situation just in order to save face (experienced in Kunming and Qingdao), or the most spinechillingly sick and disgusting expecting a hongbao before a procedure (apparently extremely common). Richland might overcharge and give unnecessary tests but doing that in a friendly and caring manner beats being made to feel like your life depends on not offending the doctor's fragile pride which is the norm in most chinese hospitals. Rant over.

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

In a country where 98 percent of enrolled university students admit to having copy/pasted full papers and assignments and handed them in to their teachers and professors I don't trust anyone with a degree unless I've see them in action. I doubt medical school is much better or worse.

Considering how much money these "doctors" charge people, the standard of the education and the fact that you aren't allowed to question a doctor here for face reasons make me very reluctant to visit a hospital unless its a real emergency. On Chinese websites you can find countless examples of how nurses and junior physicians rather'd let a patient die than to question a senior doctor's diagnosis. Keep your face up and back free,, the catchphrase of the Chinese medical system. Feel free to add "skin them for everything they've got" if you want.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

I generally agree with the negative comments about Richland. I've been there with an eye condition but after two frustrating visits when all they seemed concerned with was my bank details, I visited Kunming Eye Hospital. The latter made what was later confirmed as the correct diagnosis, offered correct advice, and charged nothing. Furthermore, between us we overcame language difficulties with patience and detailed sketches by the doctor. I would not hesitate in going there again with a minor or emergency eye condition.

Given time I would opt for the university hospitals in Chiang Mai followed by Bumrungrad (I'm adequately insured) but in an emergency, or for minor injuries, I would get my transport to bypass Richland and head for the relevant local hospital.

If you are adequately insured with a reputable company they will almost certainly offer the best advice if you contact them. It's in their interest to avoid any chance of medical complications arising from inadequate care.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

I found Maria Family Hospital a good hospital, they did do everything by the Chinese book, ie legs in the air, in stirrups etc, things that in Oz went out of fashion in the 70's. They made sure that I had a good rest in our room while my wife was in labour and called me for the exciting bits,, now thats service!

Dear Greg,

All the best, I am sure all will be well, but I wouldn't be suprised though if you find after the baby is born that the doctors did everything the same as they do in all Chinese hospitals. I also guess that they will tell you to do a C-Section.

I think that while private hospitals in Kunming have better service and often a retired experienced doctor in charge of your case they do not have the facilities to handle really difficult pregnancies, but government hospitals are most likely the same.

Make sure you have a blood donor lined up,,its better to provide blood than use the hospitals.

i have used Maria myself (even though its called a ladies and kids hospital) for some eye infections and general checkups and found them to be really good, but of course little or no English is spoken.

thanks yuantongsi.

I think we're pretty well prepared and realise it won't be exactly as we expect but at the very least there is a nod to the notion that the patient may be a human :-) I've had a couple of very disturbing experiences in other hospitals which I don't want to go into here.

As for blood, they have assured us they have it but we'll look into a donor too. Thanks for the advice.

bucko (695 posts) • 0

I wish you luck with your delivery. Don't be too surprised if you have a new doctor attending you when the day comes. Keep yuor records handy for him since he won't have a clue about any prior issues. Pay attention to all meds they want to give you and watch doses. They make regular mistakes dozing meds.

piers (144 posts) • 0

I'd pay a hongbao at Richland just to make sure you get the doctor you like and trust. Do you really care about a few hundred kuai when it comes to your wife and baby's well being....I'd think not.

The problem for many foreigners in Kunming is knowing which hospital to go to for which problem. I have met incompetent doctors in YunDa, Gongren (next to west train station), and the Red Cross. On the other hand my friend had emergency surgery in YunDa for a ruptured spleen and was treated pretty well, I had a great doctor in the Chinese Medicine Hospital (WuYi Lu) for a broken hand, and Richland looked after another friend of mine pretty well.

There used to be an American doctor in Km (Bob maybe?) working for an organsation called Project Grace. If you could find him or the org'n they might be able to advise on good places. Otherwise ask a local - I got my last tip from a taxi driver and it proved to be the best medical advice I've had.

Final word: Avoid Red Cross hospital at all costs! It's foul.

of course i'd give a hongbao if it was necessary. doesn't stop me finding the whole concept repulsive.

It won't be a new doctor, all has already been arranged so its all looking quite good.

Actually having a doctor at all is a novel concept for westerners. In most of Europe babies are delivered by midwives and a consultant only comes into it if something goes wrong.

In China it seems the midwife doesn't really do that much and the consultant handles the birth.

cricketbird (8 posts) • 0

I just visited Richland for a simple blood test for a condition being monitored by my US doctor. I told them I just wanted the test, and not to see a doctor.

When I returned to pick up my results, three men and a nurse cornered me as I walked in. They were very concerned about the numbers (only slightly out of normal range, and actually quite good for me and my condition), and wanted to admit me to the hospital. They had already called an endocrinologist who was on his way. When I said I didn't want to see the endocrinologist, they tried to make me feel guilty for wasting his time, and then talked to me about the seriousness of my "problem" for almost an hour before I could get away with my results. It was like buying a used car, the "sell" for additional services was so strong. I appreciated their concern, but not their ignoring my repeated statements that I HAD a doctor and wasn't in any life-threatening situation.

As for the lab, the numbers seemed exactly right for how I'm feeling right now and where my Dr. was predicting I would be. I'm glad they took my problem seriously, but really didn't appreciate the pressure.
I've never been to a Chinese doctor or hospital, but I've heard mixed stories, from excellent to terrifying. It's a real pity that Richland isn't living up to its hype as a western-style hospital. As long as I just need blood tests I'll go to them, but might shop around if I need more thorough care.

Related forum threads

Login to post