GoKunming Forums

Popcorn in Kunming

叶狮 (3 posts) • 0

Has anyone encountered in Kunming popcorn made in the traditional Chinese manner? Like this:

www.clipjunkie.com/Popcorn-Hammer-vid8738.html (link works in China)

I'm very interested in this method of popcorn preparation as it's unique to China. I'd love to find this in Kunming so I can talk to them and watch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

It's not really popcorn but pop rice. These types of street vendors are usually seen up in northern China, not so much here in KM. Although the final product, the pop rice can be easily found around town.

Hope this helps

Siamese bunga (9 posts) • 0

I know an open market where you can find this. The market is open on Thursdays. Went to the market last Thursday. The market is open right next to the Haiyuan Temple. Bus No.83 will take you there. Only on Thursdays!

Lucia Yang (1 post) • 0

i have seen it in Chenggong maket.but the market is open only on 3rd,8th,13th,18th every month.
if you wish, i can take you there have a look.you can cantact me.
email:lucia900524@hotmail.com

叶狮 (3 posts) • 0

success! At Thursday market in front of the Haiyuan temple. Don't let the little market in front of the temple gate fool you, the real market is across the street. Also, a really awesome, cheap, and authentic market!

Thanks Siamese Bunga!!

Siamese bunga (9 posts) • 0

@叶狮:you are really welcome. Glad you found it. The market is quiet local and authentic. As you said, the main road divides the market into two parts. The half beside the temple is an interesting combination of Buddhism and local life. Love it up there!

zhubajie (57 posts) • 0

This sort of thing is pretty common in N. China, esp. in the winter time. I haven't seen it in Kunming. Go to the Harbin Ice Festival :-) and you'll probably see it.

Related forum threads

Login to post