GoKunming Forums

Air Quality and ...

njoy22 (1 post) • 0

My husband and I are retired and would like to spend Feb l5 to April l5 in Kunming. I was in Kunming l5 years ago but not since. How is the air quality? We were in X'ian recently and after two weeks we really couldn't stay there any longer.

We are also interested in Chinese language instruction. Suggestions? Has anyone tried Yuxi Normal University? I notice they have apartments for students.

Finally, are school classes back in session by Feb l5?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

prd34 (59 posts) • 0

At 300 new cars being added to the streets per day, I would say that the air quality is not what it used to be. Although I have only been in Kunming a total of 9 months myself, I have noticed that it has gotten worse in this short period of time. I find that I usually have to wash my clothes after having just worn them for a day. I wipe my skin with rubbing alcohol and cotton several times a day just to get the dirt off and the cotton usually turns black - even when I wake up in the morning. China's excuse for all its problems (and stupidity) seems to be "We Are A Developing Country." However, a Chinese colleague of mine was telling me the other day that this really has to do with the fact that many people have what she called a "developing-country consciousness." She seemed to think that if people were to raise their consciousness, then China would no longer be that developing country indeed.

A more "conscientious" approach would seem to be to (1) require catalitic converters on the automobiles, (2) build a better public transportation system (including a city-wide train and subway system), (3) give people tax-incentives not to use cars, (4) and develop car-sharing systems/co-ops.

If the city doesn't take action and responsibility, then we will indeed be seeing (1) a worsening air quality situation and (2) a traffic gridlock throughout the city.

If they would however, then they could definitely market the city to tourists as a "Green, Clean and Beautiful Kunming."

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

The kunming city air is OK compared to Xi An and eastern coast cities and countryside....I've been there too
The Kunming countryside air is very clean and clear, enjoyable....
I teach english in private schools, we can talk....
I'm a permanent resident..

Related forum threads

Login to post