GoKunming Forums

Looking for a weightlifting teacher

jonny9 (59 posts) • 0

Hi I would like to learn real weightlifting/powerlifting.

Any advice on how to find a coach? and where would he/she teach me?

I imagine that most Kunming fitness centers lack the basic equipment?

(such as perfectly round plates with rubber on the outside).

Does Kunming have a sports university?

Maybe I could make flyers in Chinese and put them up there.

jonny9 (59 posts) • 0

Hi Lisa, sure do you know how to teach weightlifting?

Squat, dead lift, power clean etc?

thanks for your reply.

thatguyted (34 posts) • 0

i don't know of any coaches or teachers, but i think if you want to do squats, deadlifts, and power cleans, and you want to focus on strength, then you should really check out everything from a guy named mark rippetoe. "starting strength" and "practical programming" are must-reads. (search around on the internet for free copies...)

you can definitely learn the lifts by reading the books, recording your lifts on video, and posting them on weightlifting forums to have more experienced lifters check your form.

post on these forums for feedback on your form:
startingstrength.com/
this forum is even better:
www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/

there is also and excellent starting strength wiki at:
startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts

if you want more of a physique route, but sticking with the compound lifts, check out stronglifts at stronglifts.com it is just a modification of starting strength that goes more for size than strength.

best of luck!

jonny9 (59 posts) • 0

ha ha
I have read starting strength and I already follow the stronglifts 5 x 5.

My concern is always my form.

Here in China, most of the people in the gyms have no idea what they are doing and the trainers also have no idea. So its hard to find a workout partner. Honestly, anyone who has read starting strength is qualified to teach the trainers at most Chinese fitness centers.

I guess I will have to do as you said, and post video. don't have a camera or even a video phone so I haven't done it yet.

I was thinking, that given how many oly lifters there are in china, and how most of them are never gonna make the Olympic team, there must be a lot of knowledgeable people around.

thanks for your generous post Ted, we should lift together some time.

Related forum threads

Login to post