GoKunming Forums

Dali to Laos

mingdao (40 posts) • 0

We have to leave China in a couple of weeks (Visa requirement).

While Myanmar is the closest border, we've been told American's can't walk across.

When we lived in Kunming we drove to Hekou and walked across to Lao Cai, Vietnam. Now from Dali we'd like to go somewhere closer. A stop in Xishuangbana for some R&R would be nice, also.

Does someone know the conditions of the roads to drive from Dali to Mengla? It looks like Dali -> Lincang -> Puer -> Xishuangbana -> Mengla is a pretty straight shot.

Google maps says that route is 876 km – about 18 hours 55 mins. Same map says going through Kunming is 1,001 km – about 14 hours 50 mins.

Does anyone have personal experience, or an alternate opinion/idea from going out from Dali?

Charly Zhao (18 posts) • 0

I am sorry for late reply,cause I am a new one,just found it, u r right that it is much nearer for the schedule Dali -> Lincang -> Puer -> Xishuangbana -> Mengla than go back to Kunming, but in June,August, the road is so bad that there is no bus from Dali to Lincang.

mingdao (40 posts) • 0

We chose Dali -> Kunming -> Hekou. This is shorter distance and the roads are good.

From Kunming go through Yuxi and Jianshui and Mengzi. Takes about 4 hours from Kunming to Mengzi. The new road from Mengzi to Hekou is the best one in Yunnan Province. Takes about 1 1/2 hours from Mengzi to Hekou.

Do NOT go from Kunming through Shi Lin and Kai Yuan. From Kunming to Mengzi through Shi Lin there is NO interstate, the roads are very bad; so with the impatient new drivers in Yunnan, this route is very dangerous. It will take close to 7 hours to go from Kunming to Mengzi through Kai Yuan.

Yes, you choose the best route, if you want go back Kunming. The road you will go is a part of Kunming-Bangkok International Highway, so the road is good and the sightseeing is attactive on the way, it will be very important for logistics after the road will been built well.

by the way, We have a trip to visit Rice terrace in Yuanyang and Zhu Family Courtyard, you could reply me, if you have interested in it.

Related forum threads

Login to post