GoKunming Forums

Dali to Myanmar

bosnianXCII (36 posts) • 0

When travelling to Myanmar, if I brought Chinese Yuan with me instead of USD will exchanges be easier? I here the don't have ATMs there because of US and British sanctions

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Near the Chinese border, Yuan is used exclusively and near the Thai border, Baht is used exclusively. In Mandalay, Yuan should be easy to exchange and it's getting easier in Yangon too, but it's still wise to bring at least half or 2/3 of your stash of cash in USD since many entrance fees etc. are quoted in dollars and payment is expected in that currency too, or at least it was 5-6 years ago when I was last there.

Not sure if you've already been to Myanmar yet, Dan, since your posts date from late last year, but I think there's not much else you really need to know other than perhaps taking in as much cash as you think you'll need to spend, since there are no ATMs in Myanmar and no other way that I know of to get access to money from overseas. I doubt cash advances are an option either, since banks in Myanmar wouldn't be hooked up to VISA/Mastercard or other networks due to the international sanctions against the regime. China's Unionpay might work since China does not have any sanctions against the Myanmar regime, but I haven't heard of that being the case either, so cash it is.

It's also a good idea to book and prepay for all your accommodation with a credit card prior to arrival in Myanmar and then you won't have to carry as much cash and will have some piece of mind. Try www.agoda.com or www.asiarooms.com for hotel bookings.

Visa on arrival was available for a few months last year I think, then suspended again. Not sure if they re-instated this service; find out by contacting the Myanmar consulate in Kunming.

Heinz (29 posts) • 0

I was just there over Spring festival. Round trip flight to Yangon for 3200 with CA. Advised to book early as it's still high season and everywhere was quite busy, hard to find rooms. Probably a good idea to book ahead to avoid carrying too much cash as mentioned above. Alternatively, what I did, in Yangon go to a travel agent and get everything booked and paid. Let me know if you have other questions.

Related forum threads

Login to post