GoKunming Forums

Credit Card & Paypal

Mars316 (24 posts) • 0

No HSBC in kunming, foreign banks just Krung Thai Bank and *other(can't remember the name,both from Thailand),next to Hang Seng.
BOC Great Wall credit card:适用对象
凡年满18周岁,具有完全民事行为能力有合法稳定收入的中国公民和在中国境内有居留权等条件的外国人及港澳台同胞均可在本地申请中银长城国际卡

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

Been around a handful of banks and none of them wanted to issue Visa or Mastercards unless you either deposited 50.000 to get a Visa or showed proof of long term stay (z visa wouldn't do) to get a credit card. I don't have 50 grand so I guess that's out of the question. I was slightly surprised to find out that BOC doesn't want to give Visa/MC to foreigners although the woman I talked to seemed kinda clueless about the whole thing and had to call around. China Merchants Bank couldn't help either although they were very friendly and did their best to assist me. They even suggested I could try the Bank of Communications but I didn't get around to that yet.

Can anyone recommend a bank that issues Visa or MC debit cards to foreigners without too many restrictions? I feel it would be for the best if I could take out money if I am on holiday or visiting my native country.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Getting a 'debit card' is easy. It's getting a debit card with the VISA/MASTERCARD logo on it so that it acts like a credit card. The debit card has UNIONPAY not VISA or MASTERCARD I believe.

Mars316 (24 posts) • 0

Danmairen,which BOC did you go? have u tried the BOC building locates in "交三桥"? the head office in yunnan. I can not promise anything, just an friendly advice.

Philou (208 posts) • 0

HSBC just opened a branch in Kunming according to China Daily :
www.chinadaily.com.cn/[...]

and sure enough, here is from the HSBC website:
Kunming Branch (Corporate Banking Services, Advance Services)

Unit A, 11F, JunFa Centre, 987 Beijing Road

Kunming,Yunnan, PR China 650225
Telephone: [86] (871) 838 8888

Fax: [86] (871) 838 8808

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

I called the HSBC Kunming branch. It is not a retail bank. They have no idea when HSBC will have ATMs in Kunming. I don't think it is practical to open an individual account. Minimum balance is 500,000 yuan.

When HSBC first opened in Beijing the minimum balance was 8,000. Later it was increased to, I think, 400,000. After that, I only used the ATMs. Good bank, lousy China rules.

I like China Merchants Bank.

Related forum threads

Login to post