GoKunming Forums

Anyone know good Chinese/Taiwanese rock, punk or metal music/bands to download?

Richy (11 posts) • 0

I noticed recently I've been listening to a lot of Japanese punk and rock, which, although good, isn't really helping with my Chinese studies.

So far my only exposure to Chinese tunes have been sickening love songs or minorities singing about how much they love China.

I was wondering if people could recommend some good Chinese music of the above genre in the title? I like gritty, edgy tunes with good clear vocals and rhythm.

Thanks!

aliebman (8 posts) • 0

I searched for good interesting Chinese rock for a while and found absolutely nothing. Meanwhile, some of that Japanese stuff is really great, which gives me hope that Chinese rock will develop someday as well. I would guess that a good 10 years are needed.

Richy (11 posts) • 0

Really? That's so depressing. I keep hearing from people how good the Beijing rock scene is meant to be, yet I've never heard of or hear any music which comes out of there.

I mean, there's gotta be some good Taiwan rock right? Maybe I should go find a Taiwan forum...

shuren (7 posts) • 0

If you like punk you should try the bands Hedgehog, xiaohe, the gar, check out "la loupe" also for a catchier sound.

IamAhab (2 posts) • 0

there is some real wierd koren metal bands but i think they got band in china for political stuff

hetszunyu (11 posts) • 0

Taiwanese black metal band Chthonic is awesome, but you probably won't be able to use their songs for learning Chinese :D

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

not sure i (or anyone else) can nail exactly what you're looking for ("gritty, edgy tunes with good clear vocals and rhythm"), but here's some Chinese bands that i think are worth at least looking into: Joyside, ReTROS, Perdel, PK-14, Mr. Chelonian.

you might find you get some useful answers on a Beijing-or Shanghai-based forum. we get a mere trickle of live acts come through here compared to those cities.

Related forum threads

Login to post