GoKunming Forums

Z visa and accommodation

Cazzajoy (4 posts) • 0

I'm looking for some feedback from other people here on Z visas.

My workplace has recently stated that I can not source my own accommodation and that I must be in an appartment rented by them. They have said that this is a legal constraint of my Z visa.

Has anyone else heard of this? It seems a little strange to me.

QuadraPatty (7 posts) • 0

That was not the case when I worked in Dalian with a Z visa. You could live at a place of your choice. However, sometimes different provinces have different rules.

freewayxx (12 posts) • 0

I have a Z visa and I know many other people with Z visas and we all have our own apartments not provided by our employers.

I have never heard of anyone with a Z visa needing to live in an apartment rented by his/her employer here in Kunming.

So, I can think of 4 things that might be happening:

1. They are lying to you.
2. They misunderstood the regulations regarding this issue.
3. The law has recently changed and now Z visa holders must live in housing provided by their employers.
4. The law has always been that Z visa holders must live in housing provided by their employers and I and all the people I know with Z visas have been breaking the law.

I am guessing that it is either 1 or 2.

Cazzajoy (4 posts) • 0

Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards it being number one as well as they stand to make some money this way.

Ricci (8 posts) • 0

I have been living and working for a chinese company since march 2007. I have a Z Visa which is renewed every year and I am renting an appartment not provided by the company I work for.
Why dont you ask the company to provide you with a copy of that "law"?
You could also ask your consulate about this issue, but as you mentioned also, I guess they are just trying to make money.

Related forum threads

Login to post