GoKunming Forums

best coffee?

scottco1986 (20 posts) • 0

a lot of coffee from southeast asia (including much of yunnan and most vietnamese coffee) is robusta, which is widely considered to be of lower quality than arabica coffee. fortunately for robusta, it has a higher caffeine content and is used to produce most of the retail coffee (not the cafe-quality stuff) in the united states.

Salvador's uses a roasted arabica bean from yunnan, which i personally really enjoy. I assume most of the cafes around here are using arabica, but I'm not positive. I wouldn't be surprised if yunjoy uses robusta (but i don't know). For a rich coffee at home, try cold brewing some of the beans from salvador's or chicago coffee. I'll be writing an article about coffee in yunnan for my blog www.kunminginmymouth.com sometime in the next few weeks that will discuss much of this, as well as including instructions for cold brewing. (in the meantime, google nytimes cold brew recipe if you're interested.)

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

I'm reviving an ancient thread so that I'm not accused of duplication.

Anyone know where, in 2013, one can find Arabica coffee beans for sale in Kunming, as opposed to Robusta? I imagine a lot may have changed between 2009 and 2013 regarding the Yunnan coffee market

chris8080 (226 posts) • 0

Starbucks! I'm not a coffee expert so what they serve is fine for me, but I especially like the fact that you're not surrounded by smokers like at the places on Wen Lin street.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Sometimes, if a Starbucks has a first floor, people would go up and smoke there. Annoying, since windows can't be opened.

@Geogramatt, don't they have it at Metro?

timheinze (3 posts) • 0

Georgramatt, I would suggest trying Hani Coffee (hanicoffee.com). Our 100% Arabica beans, I believe, are the best in Yunnan (although I might be slightly biased!). You can buy whole bean or ground coffee at Paul's Shop and is now being served at Paul's Cafe both down on Wen Ling Jie. It is also sold at the three Wicker Basket locations. Enjoy!

BarbaraBarbara (63 posts) • 0

Geogramatt, lots has changed! Yunnan is growing and roasting superb arabica coffees. Kinari Coffee Roasters, who by the way do a very good coffee with Bao Shan arabica beans, have done us, Slice of Heaven, a special roast. Not to brag but we thinks it's brilliant. Dark and a bit chocolatey. 250 grms @49 rmb. We'll grind it for you. However there's plenty of other options around and it largely depends on your taste. Paul's, Wen Hua Xiang has many different brands and many of the coffee houses sell their particular roasts. Salvador's is excellent as is Prague's, not to forget Hani coffee, also really good. There's plenty. Shop around until you find the one that suits you.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Metro brand is Rioba. There are several 'flavours' including blue mountain flavour, Brasil flavour, Mocha, and others. These are between 70-100% Arabica beans.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

I honestly think that the Yunnan beans that Salvador's sells, are really good. I brew them at home, and I find them a close second to the really great coffee I get back home in New Orleans.

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

@tommann

I just bought my first bag of Sal's beans today. Colin says they're 100% Arabica, grown in 潞江 of the Nujiang Valley. Looking forward to my first brew tomorrow morning!

Related forum threads

Login to post