GoKunming Forums

No more student visas for over 60's

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

so family reunion (spouse etc) visa is 2 years now? I thought it needed renewing every year.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

It's been 2 years for a few years. I was surprised when they said that once you hit 60 you can get a 3 year visa (which I got). I was hoping they would make it a 5 year visa. :-).

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Also with those spouses that don't have Kunming hukou, the family reunion visa cannot (or couldn't anyway) ever be longer than your spouse's remaining residence permit in Kunming, which in my case was always 1 year. Been on work RP for a while now so don't know latest.

kc430kc430 (81 posts) • 0

Regarding spousal visa for someone like me who is older than 60, I just renewed in Kunming and the term was for for 2 years. I applied in late March and received it two weeks later in early April (the previous renewal in 2018 took 4 weeks). I asked about a longer term but was told not available. They said apply for Chinese green card if you want longer term.

I encountered a problem stemming from renewing my passport last fall. Had to make a trip to the US Consulate in Chengdu, really glad I got it done before the corona virus hit in January.

Anyway, back in December when I received the new pp, I immediately went to my local police station to register it. What I didn't realize is that you also have to register a new passport with PSB on Tuodong Road.

The day after I applied for the new visa (in late March), I got a phone call from the police saying I was in violation for not reporting to PSB. I reported to the station as requested and was asked to sign a statement in Chinese which I didn't understand. A family member said it indicated I was in violation of the law. The policeman was cordial and said due to the lockdown situation, I was to receive a warning but no fine would be imposed. Was thankful for that, since more than three months had elapsed since I had received the new passport. I never did find out how long the grace period is to report a new passport to PSB on Tuodong Road.

Related forum threads

Login to post