GoKunming Forums

Old Yunnan painting

lemon lover (1006 posts) • +4

Engraving is a printing technique where a relief is created on a smooth metal plate by engraving it with a sharp engraving tool. It creates crisp and clear prints. Etching is a technique were a medium like beeswax is painted on a smooth metal plate. Or the engraving is made in a plate completely covered in beeswax, only engraving the wax and not the plate itself. The plate is then treated with a strong acid. The places that are covered with beeswax are protected from the acid while the exposed parts are etched away creating a relief.
Because the beeswax can be painted on you get a general wider pattern than the rather thin lines of an engraving needle.
From here on both processes are the same. Ink is applied to the plate and will stick only in the hollowed out parts of the plate. The ink is then transferred to the paper by pressing the plate to the paper.
Originally this was done only on flat plates but later automated processes started using flexible plates on drums or engraving machines engrave straight away on a metal drum (Used for example to print banknotes). Artist in general still use the flat plates.
Some artists ink their printing plates after their printing run and let the ink dry on the plate. This results in a black picture on a shiny metal background.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

I been following Ebay and Yunnan since 2007, and over the years, theres been so much interesting stuff. The interesting stuff has waned down over recent, years but theres still interesting stuff occasionally. You need to learn to dig up that too, using old names and such. Likiang, Talifu, Yunnansen etc. Sometimes you hit something with the keywords, and seller may have no idea about it. Chinese collectors been pretty much outside the market here, bcs of all internet bans, and they dont know the right Latin words to fish with. (Liu at mandarinbooks is an exception, but its a busy guy, and even he is not a pro fisher). But as my interest in Yunnan is on the decline, I can recommend Ebay for other people who might be interested. Today theres a book that must be very rare:

www.ebay.com/[...]

Time for someone else to take over, if theres anyone left with interest. Or even, if theres any point at all, anymore.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • -6
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

So I could say, I wanted to fight for Yunnan - a desperate battle - for its interesting history, tales, stories, magic, and document it as much as possible against the blind modernization. Then, maybe even revenge, in some way. As a single individual. Years of work, futile? Maybe. Who knows.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +2

Take revenge? More crazy talk. Your interest in Yunnan is waning? Some good news from you at last. Wane away.

Bamei (36 posts) • +4

Strong man’s prey. From Broomhall. Already sitting on the shelf. One of the many books published by the China Inland Mission after they got kicked out of China.
Is actually about southern Sichuan.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • -8

Hey cloudtrapezer.

I was wondering who the f you are and checked u writing history here, and saw you havent managed 10 messages in a row, over your seven years, without writing the word ”racist”.

Since u call me crazy i call u a baizuo loser. Go get some jianshui soy. While reading your Guardian. Loser.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • -9

@bamei

Quite a few missionaries ventured deep into areas no one else dared to go into. Cold mountains. Are you familiar with cold mountains and the stories? Like going voluntarily into death. Pollard wrote about the infamous Yi there, and he was a missionary. But the book is a fantastic read. Those mountains part of Yunnan too. I havent read that book, but it for sure is rare. Never even come across it.

That being said, I dont expect the current Kunming english teacher laowai community to know anything on this. I expect you to know which shelf to find dr pepper in walmart. How to say "no ice, thanks" in chinese. And how to paint a car and write "car" under it, to five year old kids. Even talking to you feels coming near to a disease. Id take any missionary over youz.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +4

More pointless abuse. Made even more ridiculous by your admission that you haven't even read the book you're talking about. Kindly leave the stage.

Bamei (36 posts) • +6

Peter99
Jumping to conclusions. Not a laowai English teacher at all and never had a Dr Pepper in my life.
Actually read the book when I was working in the Yi area in Southern Sichuan when I worked there some twenty years ago.
Familiar as well with the work of Gladstone Porteous and Samuel Pollard (With the Chinese Inland Mission as well and the creators of Yi and Miao scripts).

lemon lover (1006 posts) • +6

@Peter 99
You sound like Trump man.

Quote: “But the book is a fantastic read. I havent read that book, but it for sure is rare. Never even come across it.”

Didn’t read it, never came across it, but it is fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Related forum threads

Login to post