GoKunming Forums

Non-Criminal Certificate

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

@jadorechocolate: Please keep us updated.

You're correct that China does not recognize Apostille. They apparently require authentication by their own embassies instead. Some government documents will have to be authenticated by the state secretary of state or equivalent first.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • -2

China recognises apostiles but does not grand them as it is not part of tge treaty.

If your country is then by international law an Apostille should cut the mustard here eg. Marriage certificates, degree authentication etc. However it the apostille will need to be checked and authorised by a Chinese embassy.

Going the other way if you have a Chinese degree, marriage cert etc then you'll have to go to a government authentication centre as the apostille does not exist here.

The apostille is only a peice of paper saying that the signatures on legal documents match with that held on public record for solicitors and law makers etc. Nothing to do with authentication of the document which is supposed to be done by the solicitor/ government department before the apostille phase.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • -2

China recognises apostiles but does not grant them as it is not part of the treaty.

If your country is then by international law an Apostille should cut the mustard here eg. Marriage certificates, degree authentication etc. However it the apostille will need to be checked and authorised by a Chinese embassy. The stamp only by the embassy will not be enough, likewise an apostille without embassy stamp will also not be accepted.

Going the other way if you have a Chinese degree, marriage cert etc then you'll have to go to a government authentication centre as the apostille does not exist here.

The apostille is only a peice of paper saying that the signatures on legal documents match with that held on public record for solicitors and law makers etc. Nothing to do with authentication of the document which is supposed to be done by the solicitor/ government department before the apostille phase.

MustardStain (2 posts) • 0

@jadorechocolate, I'm a Thai citizen. Such a painful process that I ever encountered. I've started the process at the end of Sep'16 until now I'm not even a halfway through this.

Hope you get it done as fast as you can :)

Related forum threads

Login to post