GoKunming Forums

Police Reporting

nonthaburial (14 posts) • 0

I understand that any foreigner entering China and not staying in a hotel has to inform/register with the local constabulary.. Is this a strict and enforcable ruling ? if so where do I present myself in Kunming.

atomic (156 posts) • 0

You are supposed to register at your nearest police station. The authorities seemed to be very strict about this when I came over in August, probably due to the Olympics and they had my 4 year old son and I reporting back to them every month, but since renewing our visas last October, not a peep. You'll need to take along your passport, address and a telephone number, either take the hotels business card or get someone to write down your address on a piece of paper and they'll call you back when your "REGISTRATION VOUCHER OF RESIDENCE FOR VISITORS FROM OVERSEAS" is ready. If your here for less than a week I wouldn't bother, if your here as a student or employee of a Chinese business, then the school or business may take care of this.

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

if you are renting an apartment, take along your contract and a photocopy of your landlord's ID (shen fen zheng). if you are planning on staying in China for any length of time, keeping up-to-date on registration will save you headaches.

lummerlaoshi (130 posts) • 0

Anytime you change residence, your passport, or visa, you need to notify the police station in charge of your neighborhood. You'll need your apartment lease/contract, your passport, a copy of your passport, your visa, a copy of your visa, and possibly a passport photo. Remember to get copies before you go just in case the police station doesn't have a convenient photocopier or the person's out to lunch. I haven't needed my landlord's ID in the past as the apartment contract was enough proof. After all is said and done, you'll receive a "Registration Voucher of Residence for Visitors from Overseas" which you will need to apply for a different visa (e.g., change from a tourist visa to a student visa) or for official matters in the future (haven't had to use it for anything except applying for visas or re-registering, but who knows). You may wish to go with a Chinese speaker to smooth out communication.

Related forum threads

Login to post