GoKunming Forums

Biking in Wuhua

RichardPA (2 posts) • 0

Any tips on biking around the city, is it easy enough to bike around Wuhua?

Are there e-bikes that I could buy secondhand, and be legal without any extra permit?

I'll only be in KM for a few months.

opper (52 posts) • 0

I'm not an expert cyclist, especially compared with some of the regular forum frequenters, but I have to say it is quite easy biking around wuhua. The biggest obstacle is traffic which you will get used to after a week or so. Unless you need to move around very quickly with a kid on your back, a regular bike is suitable for most transportation needs. I bike to guandu and chenggong areas fairly often and it's never really a challenge.

lawlz0mg (201 posts) • 0

if youre here for a few months dont get an ebike, foreigners are targets for intentional accidents, if your chinese is bad youll lose the fight and pay 200 yuan for something you didnt do. get a solid bike, and enjoy the rides. the weather is great and small hills in the city. if you invest in a good bike you can resell it when you leave.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

And by foreigners, you mean those of European descent. They are the only targets of blatantly faked accidents. Never happens to Chinese. They are also targeted for higher prices in shops or market. That never happens to waidi tourists. Oh and they are also the only ones called laowai.

redjon77 (510 posts) • 0

I wouldn't say never happens to chinese, it's one thing my chinese wife always mentions, people creating blatantly faked accidents!

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I'm sure there are blatantly faked accidents somewhere, sometime, but has anybody here ever had one? I don't think it's worth worrying about. As far as 'never happens to Chinese', I've heard of such, from the same sources I've heard of concerning foreigners - rumor, chatlines, etc. I don't get overcharged in my local market, but it does help to develop a sense of what things should cost (vegetables, meat, etc.) - yeah, it could happen, but I think people should be quite sure of themselves before they start self-righteously raising hell in public - a better reaction is usually just to suggest the price you want politely and then walk away if you don't get it - you'll get nowhere trying to make people lose face in public. I suppose I've been slicked once or twice, but I'm 'of European descent' and I don't feel persecuted here.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

I agree with Alien, we aren't exactly persecuted. Taken advantage of slightly perhaps, because many foreigners are less used to haggling in their own countries. I pay slightly higher prices in the market than my girlfriend, because she is chinese and will haggle for the cheapest price, whereas to me a couple of kuai isnt worth an argument - the market vendor probably needs it more than I do.

I have a second hand ebike, but haven't had anyone try to hit me so far touch wood! What I would say is that a push bike is not safe anywhere unless it is being guarded by you or someone you have paid to watch it. I locked my bike to a tree outside my door in front of the guards office for 1 hour in the afternoon, it got stolen.

Related forum threads

Login to post