GoKunming Forums

Dropbox not working?

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

There was the annual march in Hong Kong for democracy, and related protests this week. That's probably why it was blocked. When their are protests, "elections", or anything important almost everything gets blocked then. If you want reliable service you just have to get a VPN.

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

There was the annual march in Hong Kong for democracy, and related protests this week. That's probably why it was blocked. When there are protests, "elections", or anything important almost everything gets blocked then. If you want reliable service you just have to get a VPN.

Mandrake (129 posts) • 0

Well I have a VPN, my problem is sharing files which I can access, but my students can't. Most don't know what a vpn is, let alone how to pay for it or set it up. Kind of frustrating. Technology is there to make life easier, and I had hoped to automate the file sharing process. Now I have to give the files individually to each student.

I am loath to transfer all the files to another website, to only have it blocked again, be it a Chinese website.

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

So why not just setup your own website or ftp server? Outside of China it starts at only a few dollars a month for around 20 GB of space.. Assuming these aren't huge files I don't imagine it costing too much money in China.

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

If you want to run your own check out this list:

alternativeto.net/software/dropbox/?license=opensource

But a quick search on Baidu found dozens of alternatives that shouldn't be blocked by China. Assuming the files aren't of a sensitive nature then that's going to be your hassle free bet.

Just search for 百度网盘,酷盘,百度云,微云。。。any major internet company in china + or 网盘 should get plenty of results.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

If you are just file sharing, I have given a nominated student the files on a thumb drive, they load that onto their own computer and share with the rest of the class.
Not as elegant as using drop box, but more reliable.

Mandrake (129 posts) • 0

Well currently I have informed the students to just bring a USB drive to class, and I can give them the files after each class.

I have my own website, but the file space isn't large enough for what I need to share.

Need to do some research into what will be the best as a long term solution.

MiguelS (2 posts) • 0

For all those whom Dropbox is blocked SharePoint is a good alternative that works much better and more secure. SharePoint is compatible with Chinese Language too. You first need to site up a SharePoint Team Site and then you will be able to upload/download files into it without any size restriction. The files can also be shared online for editing. Try with first creating a free SharePoint site at www.cloudappsportal.com/[...] and create a doc library to store your files.

Related forum threads

Login to post