The following is an announcement on behalf of TEDtoChina and 1kg MORE.
On April 19, we are pleased to invite you to join the TEDx1kg event in the sunny and quiet town of Lijiang and to bring one kilogram of books or stationery to kids who need them.
TEDx1kg is an innovative experiment based on the combination of TEDx and 1kg MORE. We have developed several programs for the event, including TEDx Rural Show Time, TEDx Rural Talks and TEDx Rural Education Forum. All programs are open to every volunteer.
It is our hope that TEDx1kg can pass on your passion and dream to rural kids. If they are restricted from walking outside their village, why can't we bring the outside world to them?
April 18 is the 6th-year anniversary of 1kg MORE, so we will hold a birthday party in Lijiang's Shuhe Old Town on that day. The first set of TEDx talks will be held on April 19 on the playground of Donglian Elementary School, which is a local school with six grades, six classes, seven teachers and 70 kids. Click here for school images.
At this event, you will not only bring 1kg of books or stationery on your journey to give to those rural children, but you will also bring them your own fabulous story as a bonus. With your passionate talk, you will light the imagination of rural children, and give them the faith and confidence to pursue their own dreams.
We will then publish your talk in the form of video, photo, or text document on TEDtoChina.com and 1kg.org and broadcast it to over 800 rural schools in the 1kg network. We are trying to build a library full of videos for rural kids that will be a big help in making their dreams come true.
Speech program agenda
1. Guests must cover their own travel costs
2. All talks will be published on TEDx1kg.com and 1kg.org
3. We will choose 6 guests for the April 19 public talks
4. Guests must be good story tellers and should be familiar with the TED talk format (give the audience the essential content within 18 minutes)
5. Talks should be inspiring, interesting, and easy for kids to understand. Technical demonstrations are possible so long as they are suitable for use in the countryside. Guests are welcome to perform or interact with the children as well
6. Guests should arrive in Shuhe, Lijiang before April 17
7. If you want to share your story, please send an email to banyue[at]1kg[dot]org containing your name, mobile number, a short bio, and a speech title and summary
TEDx was created in the spirit of TED's mission, "ideas worth spreading." The program is designed to give communities, organizations and individuals the opportunity to stimulate dialogue through TED-like experiences at the local level.
At TEDx events, unique talks given by live speakers combine with TEDTalks videos to spark deep conversation and connections. TEDx events are fully planned and coordinated independently, on a community-by-community basis.
About 1kg MORE
1KG MORE advocates an innovative concept of travel: backpackers can help the local rural community by carrying an extra 1 kilogram of materials such as books or stationary. Through their joyful participation, they can help children in rural Chinese villages so that "Travel Makes A Better World."