GoKunming Forums

Leave Kunming for a working visa?

Joseph555 (1 post) • 0

Hi,

I am wondering if a foreign teacher is recruited by a university or high school in Kunming, while there on some other kind of visa, would he/she need to go to HK or another country and apply for the visa at a consulate?

Or can the local school appy at the PSB?

Thanks in advance, I tried various searches but couldn't find the answer.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

If you are already on a resident permit you should be able to swap to a new employer. If you are on a L or F or other visa type then you need to get your new entry visa overseas (or at least not in the mainland).

adaminkm (31 posts) • 0

I don't think Hong Kong is an option now. Most schools now will ask you to fly back to your home country, which can be quite the expense. Friend of mine just got offered a position in Shanghai with Wall Street English and needs to fly home to get his visa sorted.

The only way not to fly home now is if you are already on a working visa / residence permit and have it transferred to a new employer.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

I know several people who have gone to HK to get the working visa in the last couple of months, so it is still an option.

lummerlaoshi (130 posts) • 0

I know at least 3 people who had student visas who went to Hong Kong and switched it to a Z work visa in the last 2 months. They had no need to return to their home country but did need to leave the mainland to do the visa switch.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

The important thing is that your visa invitation from the Yunnan Foreign Affairs Dept has to state that you will apply for your Z entry visa in HK.

adaminkm (31 posts) • 0

So I am guessing laws are different in different parts of China. Thanks for letting us know the situation in Kunming and Yunnan.

Related forum threads

Login to post