GoKunming Forums

Vehicle recommendations?

spelunkus (81 posts) • 0

I am looking to buy a second-hand vehicle in the very near future. I plan to drive it around China for a few months then sell it when I'm done. I have been to the second-hand markets in Kunming and have a good idea of what I want and what is available, but I thought I'd ask around for people's experiences and in case they have other recommendations.

I want:
- dual airbags
- published crash test ratings (e.g. Aus/Euro NCAP or even China NCAP)
- 4WD (preferred, not required)
- space for 2-4 people (e.g. I'll need 3 seats if I hire a fixer anywhere)
- under 80,000 kuai (this is already way over my budget, but I can't find what I want any cheaper than this)

I have seen a few Mistubishi Pajeros (Sold under the Changfeng brand here sometimes) and Great Wall (Changcheng) Hovers (aka Haval, H3, H5, and X240, all the same thing). I don't need it to be an SUV, but I assumed the 4WD and budget would rule out everything else, like Subaru imports, etc.

I was originally aiming for something non-descript / unnoticeable like an old plumber's van, so it wouldn't be a theft target, but after I decided safety was a priority, that ruled out most cheap and/or old vehicles. I'd love to hear I've missed something though!

I expect to mostly drive it around smaller roads, mountain roads, and in rural areas. I don't expect to drive it much in cities or on expressways.

Thanks!
Matt

sean1sean1 (82 posts) • 0

I think you should be able to get something that fits that description quite easily, but the second hand car situation in China is rather questionable...do you need an automatic?

this site might help as well
0871.273.cn/

spelunkus (81 posts) • 0

@sean1 I haven't seen that site yet. Thanks.

I have been getting some help to vet vehicles and to understand all the crazy things to watch out for in the second-hand market, so they're not *too* scary. But still, I have wondered about the online options. What is your experience?

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

In your price range, I'd definitely go for the Changfeng second hand. There are tonnes of those in China and they're surprisingly reliable. Even if they break down, they can get fixed almost anywhere. If I remember correctly, the 4x4 starts at 120.000 from the dealer, so you'll definitely be able to find a 3-4 years old one for half that. Even in Yunnan. Sean1 is right on the money with his assessment of the 2nd hand market here. I've seen adds for cars with 100.000 km on them, and the owner still wants 90 percent of what he forked over 5 years ago. The Yunnanese are still farmers when it comes to cars.

spelunkus (81 posts) • 0

@Danmairen thanks. I've heard similar things as well about being able to get them fixed anywhere.

Does anyone know how close the construction / specs of the Dongfengs are are to the Mitsubishis? Are they only cosmetically different? e.g. if I am looking at crash test results for a 2009 Mitsu Pajero should I assume that it is basically the same for the Dongfeng? I'm sure people will say I should assume the Chinese version will have had shortcuts taken, etc., but I'm curious if there are known differences.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Build quality is usually thinner steel for local badges.
Different/local engines a lot of the time.
Lower interior spec sometimes, this includes airbags numbers.

Diesels can be a problem, as there are often diesel fuel shortages in China.

Look at some of the Zhengzhou Nissan.
Some early x-trails could be in your budget. Smaller engine than the US or EU x-trails.
Paladins can be picked up cheapish. The Chinese one has a crap gearbox but is still a 4x4.
Hyundai Terracan are very good off road.

There is also a Hyundai/JAC van that is sort of MPV. These are about a 9 seater. Rip the seats out to sleep in. These are used a lot by tour guides. The base JAC version used to be under 100k new.
There is a 2004 70k km for 48000 here, others newer within budget 0871.273.cn/[...]

spelunkus (81 posts) • 0

@tigertiger just a quick question. By "airbag numbers" you mean which models of airbags are installed, or you mean the quantity of airbags that are standard in the car (e.g. driver/passenger, side, curtain, etc.)?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm looking through 273.cn now.

Matt

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

The quantity of airbags. And other elements of the interior can differ. Fewer air bags and less electrical equipment (e.g. electric seat adjustment), fewer buttons, lower spec audio, sometimes only electric windows in front, etc.

Related forum threads

Login to post