Just to set things straight, these are things needed to apply for a marriage visa:
1. Your passport
2. Your Chinese marriage certificate (red book)
3. 1 photo
4. Filled out Visa dn Residence Permit Application Form
5. Your wife's/husband's ID card
6. Your wife's/husband's Kunming hukou OR a temporary residence card for Kunming. You cannot apply for the visa in Kunming if your spouse is not from Kunming and does not work in Kunming (that I know of).
7. The registration slip you received when you registered your passport and residence at the local police station (half sheet with a red stamp).
At least, that's what they told me at the Visa Entry-Exit Bureau.
What do you mean by a 'Marriage Visa'?
I believe he means the 1 year 探亲 residence visa you get if you are married to a chinese national. I just renewed mine.
as stated by liu, the visiting relative visa for those married to a chinese national
The document they attach inside your passport is called a Resident Permit for Foreigner.
Going in tomorrow to renew my marriage visa. Anyone know of any changes to the list of required docs at the top of this thread?
Also have your health examination booklet.
The photo has to have some sort of police registered photo or something.
I don't remember what it's called exactly, but they will just tell you to do it at the photo place next door.
They will give you the police registration document with a sheet of photos. It also expires, but it's cheap. I think it took 10 minutes or so for them to take the photos, print, and cut them. They do them in batches. The room isn't big so take an umbrella if you want to wait outside if it's rainy.
Just renewed my marriage resident permit 2 weeks ago. Only need health exam booklet if you are over 60 and applying for a 2 or 3 year permit. 1 change is your spouse now needs to write the invite application for visiting relatives letter.