GoKunming Forums

Yunnan Railway Museum

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

I recently visited the North Train Station - also known as the Yunnan Railway Museum. It was my first time but I found it very enjoyable. A tour of the Museum takes about 15 - 30 minutes and you can also ride the train to Ma Jie near the west Bus Station. The museum is free and the train ride is 2 Yuan one way or 3 Yuan round trip. Enjoy.

www.hugoyunnantravel.com/des_kunming.asp?page=14

清敔Jane (3 posts) • 0

It is a wonderful place to visit. I do love it. Actually, the railway is over 100 years, and now it is applied the UNESCO World Heritage. Also, kunming has lots of historical place like that, for instance: Yunnan Military school museum which near Cuihu is free as well. it is made a great contribution to China and many Asia countries like south Korea, North Korea and Vietnam in the World War 2.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

What you have been visiting is the rolling stock exhibition hall (annex to the museum) where some real trains and wagons are on display (Including a train from Burma) The actual museum has been closed for some time because of the construction of the new metro. (The museum is in the old North Railway station which is right on top of Beijing Lu).
I was told that a new museum might be opened in 2014.
While I was there the staff changed the sign with opening hours. Now they open one hour earlier at 09:00 in the morning. The museum stays open till 16:00.
The rolling stock exhibition hall is located west of the museum. (About 200 meters left along the railway line if you are coming from the city centre inside a living compound.)

robert367 (14 posts) • 0

It is a amazing position to check out. I do really like it. Actually, the train is over 100 decades, and now it is used the UNESCO Globe History. Also, kunming has many traditional position like that, for instance. Yunnan Army university art gallery which near Cuihu is no cost as well. It is created a great participation to Chinese suppliers and many Japan nations like southern South korea, Northern South korea and Vietnam in the Globe War second.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

@robert367 "the train is over 100 decades..."

1000 year old train? They don't build them like that anymore!

Johnabbey44 (1 post) • 0

Yunnan Railway Adult ed is really a smallish public focused on the various small determine railways made in order to web page link Yunnan along with other places. Most of these railways ended up delivered in to living primarily as a result of French-Chinese venture however the gear came from several places. Your public was in a pair of parts: The first includes atlases, papers, products, facts snowboards and also tiny artifacts.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Moderator,

I am very happy to see that you have deleted Johnabbey as well as deleting another post created by the infamous crazy.laowai (Still not verified) who reared his ugly head after a few months and posted another ridiculous post this morning. The forums have seen a drastic reduction in junk and spam since you added the verification process. Thank you for keeping this forum safe.

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

If you like trains and history, there are lots of places to enjoy the actual railroad line itself. In case you missed them, I wrote about a bicycling trip along a section of it near the Vietnam border last year, which you can view here:

www.gokunming.com/[...]

And Chris Horton wrote about riding the train within the Kunming city limits here:

www.gokunming.com/[...]

Other towns that the line passes through include Yiliang (宜良), Panxi (盘溪), Kaiyuan (开远), and Mengzi (蒙自). In all of these cities you can see the old train stations, walk amongst the current locomotives and boxcars in the yards, and no one will stop you.

Related forum threads

Login to post