GoKunming Forums

Where to buy backpacks in Kunming?

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Sorry, I can't help as my backpacks were bought overseas! But I do have a rather good eye for packs - the ones upstairs on the upstairs/downstairs store on Long Xiang Jie are definitely not fakes (which explains why the price is the same as I pay in the west for the same pack!). I suspect they re-import these from Hong Kong or the west somewhere because if they get it straight from the Chinese factories they are overcharging!

There is another place that sells top quality packs near the corner of Renmin Xi Lu and Huan Cheng Xi Lu, on the south side of Renmin Xi Lu heading west from the intersection. They have foreign packs/clothing and climbing gear (heaps including binas/quickdraws/ropes etc) which are all the genuine article but reflected in the price! Been looking at a walking axe from there but at 1000 kuai, she's pretty expensive!

What are you wanting the pack for? Day to day carrying stuff, 9 hour multiday hiking or something inbetween?

DenLee (49 posts) • 0

Thanks!

Yeah, I've figured out that the shop on Longxiang Jie is genuine, as there aren't cheaper backpacks than for 1500 Yuan. But, well, I can get (if I'm a bit lucky of course) some decent famous-brand packs in the Czech Republic for about 550-700 Yuan as well (even Husky etc.). I really liked one backpack here for 650 with lots of pockets (I need those), side openings etc., but as it had a small tear in the "head" part already hanging in the shop, and all the soft parts were actually hard as bricks, I really am not convinced about its build quality...

I need it just to carry stuff and occasional hiking, not hardcore. Mostly to bring it with me instead of a large suitcase when I go abroad, but of course sometimes I'd have to carry it for a few days. But no extreme conditions. I just can't afford to buy a new one every few years.

somewhere (29 posts) • 0

Hey. i have a backpack no long in use, its 70L, asking 350,in good condition, ping me if you want pic.

Related forum threads

Login to post