GoKunming Forums

Kunming cuisine

Eyeball Kid (12 posts) • 0

Wow...that was something. I've been here 2 years now and have a far more positive opinion of Yunnan cuisine, but I can certainly see where BillDan is coming from. Yes, there is a lot of crap here; Kunming is not Beijing or Shanghai, so getting quality Western products is still tough. As a fellow lover of the ham sandwich, having suffered through the lack of proper American ham, I truly understand your disgust. Resigned to the fact that I can't find a decent ham sandwich, I take solace in something a little different: Yunnan ham. Yunnan ham is glorious cured hard ham, much like a Spanish serrano ham (cue someone yelling about how it isn't). You can get it all over town whether at an open air market or Carrefour. Try it dude; you won't be sorry (unless perhaps you don't pour boiling water over the outside to kill any microcritters). Accept that you won't find a good ham sandwich, then get some hard cheddar from Paul's, a baguette from the French Cafe, and slice some Yunnan ham. This is my sandwich solace.

Perhaps we should form some sort of ham sandwich club...Can we make our own ham?

I like spicy food—a lot—and I don't find the heat of Yunnan food to be overwhelming. That said, I really enjoy the food here, and am going to have to add my voice to the supporter of Dai food: if you can handle the heat, it's fantastic.

crazy.laowai (242 posts) • 0

Idea. Let's form a ham sandwich and wine club! I offer to host the first meeting!

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

That was awesome!

Bill, I have switched to eating tuna sandwiches... 24 kuai for 2 cans of tuna in sunflower oil from Metro (4 meals for me)... very good Irish cheese - 28 kuai from metro (about 6 meals for me), tomatoes/lettuce/cucumber from any market, bread from Metro is passable and doesn't cost the earth. All up about 15 kuai a sandwich, very hao chi and very healthy! Man, are you stuck in your ways you HAVE to have ham! Bacon must be at least a worthy replacement? The fact you lasted so many years in Kunming is a testament to your fortitude!

Kunming isn't an international city by any standards, lets all admit that. Its got bits and pieces of internationality here and there, but most of us love it because its a bit "rural" in so many regards. Where else do parents hold their kids in a squat position for them to shit all over the footpath? You wouldn't find that behaviour in any city considered international, therefore you also should not expect to find ham!

As for the local cuisine, its quite good if you like spicy stuff, which is what I personally looove. Gutter oil is a little overblown and probably used by a minority of restaurants. The local food is loved by the locals. Kunming doesn't have a big enough international community or local interest in international foods to make it profitable for supermarkets to stock western perishables like ham or provide the expertise on how to store and serve it so you probably can't blame them. In the future, this will probably change, so lets enjoy rurality (?) while we can!

Bill, I think we should start a fund for you to buy you a return ticket for 2 weeks to mei guo! How about that everyone a "Bills Great American Fix" charity?

debaser (647 posts) • 0

"Bills Great American Fix"? no. Bill, why not just leave if you find it that difficult to live without ham... follow Gaoxing. Alternatively you could start drinking saline and consuming a cocktail of drugs and chemicals with your sandwiches as that's what most 'American' style sandwich (processed) ham is anyway. Also, I hear they have a lot of ham in most other countries so maybe you'd prefer life in one of them. In any case, cheer up and happy holidays!

123go (145 posts) • 0

Hahahahaha, Sometimes I read then I reply. Did you type it in "word" or "txt" then copy it here? Cause it may take a long time to creat this funny article. be cool, gentlemen.Hahaha.

crazy.laowai (242 posts) • 0

Debaser, are you one of those Americans who says, if ou don't like Muurika, then get the hell out!? Do you think that eople have to delight in 100% of everything about a place, or leave that place?

Related forum threads

Login to post